new build driver reccomendations needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Design constraints:
1.6 cu ft sealed cab (will consider vented after I exhaust sealed solutions)
limited baffle width means I can only use a single 10 inch or dual 8 inch drivers
91-92db eff
F3=?
I will purchase an amp-DSP to help get bass into lower frequencies
The upper XO point will be approx 200hz (possibly a bit lower)

Struggling to decide om a driver and was hoping for suggestions thanks.

My new design is kind of like the Salk Exotica 3. A bass section with a XO to a Mid at 175hz. The current speaker has a Dayton RS270 and doesnt go too low and is only 86db. I already have a direct servo sub. I am thinking now to Bi Amp with a Crown XLS 1002 with a MiniDSP. I guess I can start by staying with the same driver and upgrade over time.

That efficiency in a cabinet that small will lead to a high f3.

If you're after a subwoofer, I'd recommend finding something with lots of power handling and applying plenty of EQ. Efficiency is a secondary concern if you're going to EQ it anyway - you might as well find something that'll take the EQ than a lightweight pro-audio 10" midbass which might just get the efficiency up, but will bottom out at the first sign of serious low end.

Chris

Hi jimbones,

Post #1: "...1.6 cu ft sealed cab (will consider vented after I exhaust sealed solutions)...single 10 inch or dual 8 inch drivers 91-92db eff... upper XO point will be approx 200hz (possibly a bit lower)..."

Post #5: "...hoping to get an f3 of about 45hz...not a sub, but a woofer section."

I messed around w/ a MCM 55-2421 a while back, and came up w/ a dual driver filled-duct alignment (something between aperiodic and vented) that might work for you. The duct and the internal volume add up to about 1.6ft^3. You could design it as a PPSL to reduce driver related distortion. This driver's Xmax=8mm, which will allow low frequency boost to be used in sealed applications. The sensitivity should be in the ballpark.

Regards,

Attachments

• Dual_Jet_55-2421_2016Oct03.JPG
    Dual_Jet_55-2421_2016Oct03.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 85
Okay, so you want 45-200Hz, and you're prepared to EQ a little.

I think I'd just pick something nice based on the reviews. I like my Faital Pro 10FH520 drivers, to throw something out there. I run them up to around 800Hz in my PA system and its HiFi at >120dB.

Chris

PPSL?

Hi jimbones,

Post #1: "...1.6 cu ft sealed cab (will consider vented after I exhaust sealed solutions)...single 10 inch or dual 8 inch drivers 91-92db eff... upper XO point will be approx 200hz (possibly a bit lower)..."

Post #5: "...hoping to get an f3 of about 45hz...not a sub, but a woofer section."

I messed around w/ a MCM 55-2421 a while back, and came up w/ a dual driver filled-duct alignment (something between aperiodic and vented) that might work for you. The duct and the internal volume add up to about 1.6ft^3. You could design it as a PPSL to reduce driver related distortion. This driver's Xmax=8mm, which will allow low frequency boost to be used in sealed applications. The sensitivity should be in the ballpark.

Regards,

PPSL? This drivers looks like it would work and it's cheeeeepp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.