Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailed specifics, hints and tweaks in designing a sealed sub
Detailed specifics, hints and tweaks in designing a sealed sub
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Detailed specifics, hints and tweaks in designing a sealed sub

Sorry for beating what might be a dead horse, or a very simple horse. I did do a search and found much interesting information but I didn't find one thread dedicated to doing a great sealed sub, so here goes.

First some questions:

What is a great online calculator for getting the dimensions right?

What about stuffing? I hear completely stuffed but fluffy and airy. But what about the walls? Should they be clad with denser material?

What about wall thickness? There is of course more pressure inside a sealed than a vented but what does that imply for wall stiffness and how important is it (stiffness)? Should the sides be doubled or is a few millimeters enough?

To be more specific I have two of these bad boys: Paramètres haut-parleur de THIELE et SMALL, sans filtre ni ampli that I want to put into a cap in a bipolar config.
Bipolar for better room behaviour without having to have multible boxes. And also for a fast extinguishing push pull excitation of the cab
The Qts would indicate a slightly large cab but otherwise rather straightforward.
Any caveats though?
Old 17th July 2015, 03:27 PM   #2
kiwijunglist is offline kiwijunglist
diyAudio Member

Any calculator can be used for sealed bc it's simple. most drivers have recommended enclosure sizes. I like winisd its free to download but it is fairly technical.

Wall thickness: use 18mm mdf or ply.

Wall stiffness: use bracing every 6 to 9 inches

Stuffing: use polyfill or nothing.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  Reply to this post

Detailed specifics, hints and tweaks in designing a sealed subHide this!Advertise here!