lab12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about replacing my Bash500 hybrid amp for a Hypex ds 4.0, I have an Eminence Lab12 in a 1.9ft3 sealed enclosure, my goal is to add a 1-2 db bump at 40hz, is it worth the extra investment for an adjustable EQ in class D form or is there some other options available?

I have a Lab12 in a 39cm cube with no filling. Fc= 43 Hz and Qtc=0.74 .
If you place this near a wall or corner it will bump up the bass without resorting to any electronic intervention. It will probably go down to below 30 Hz nearer a wall. Corner will increase it even more. Use it without any eq before you decide that you need it. Your Qtc ( 0.6 ?) will be lower than mine as it is a larger box. Mine is about 42 liters. A Qtc of 0.6 should sound good placed near a wall without any eq.

Last edited:
I tried to get it as close to .707 at 1.84ft3 before stuffing but it turned out a little bigger internally. It sounds great I just wanted a little lower LF response. what I gather corner loading the subwoofer bumps the output by 3db across the entire range. thats kinda why I wanted to go with the Hypex amp something a little less permanent but I was also interested in the minidsp as a viable option. other forums/diy junkies recommend a linkwitz transformer but my diy level isnt quite on par for that.

Relic. The boost by placing it in a corner or along a wall raises the bass response which increases with lower frequency. It is not a fixed 3 db rise. It starts rising from a specific frequency depending on the room dimensions.I think corner placement has bass lift up to 6db/octave.
Before trying out all kinds of equalisers you need to measure out what you are getting right now. LR transform has a penalty . The dynamic range gets reduced because the bass is boosted.
Why don't you try a graphic equaliser or parametric equaliser to see what you really want. You could also do it via software on your PC ( the EQ ) . Many programs have that capability. Cool Edit96 for example which is out of copyright and available on the Net. There are others also. Check it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.