Budget subwoofer build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided to embark on a small project and I thought I might ask for some advice and opinions on the best way to proceed.

My current home theatre subwoofer is a 12" car audio driver in a 4th order bandpass enclosure I build many years ago. It cant be driven too hard before it gets quite floppy, but with 150W going in it has provided pretty good movie thumps for a number of years.

I think its time I upgraded to something which can really belt out some bass, and I would also like something that is more suited to music rather than home theatre. I listen to all kinds of music, so I aim to find something that can cover a bit of everything, rock, classical, electronic, you name it I probably have some of it! I also intend to use only materials I have on hand, so that limits my design somewhat.

I will be powering it with a pair of Studio350 kit amps I built years ago which are collecting dust in a cupboard. They are probably not very 'hifi' but they should manage 350W each into 4 ohms well enough to drive a subwoofer.

For the outside of the box I have some nice hardwood marine ply which I got as offcuts, I have 6 panels roughly 600mm square, so thats the longest that any side of my enclosure can be. I have lots of low grade ply that will be fine for internal bracing, but not nice enough to use on the exterior. I also have access to a CNC router, so fancy shapes are definitely doable.

I dont have a particular driver in mind, but I'm not planning on spending huge dollars for something fancy. Second hand is not out of the question if thats the best way to get something good for a reasonable price.

I am open to all suggestions for the enclosure, sealed, vented, horns, something really crazy.

So, any ideas?

Edit:
And I should probably add that I would love to build a horn of some sort. I always wanted some full range horns but don't have the space in my current house. I've been reading a bit about Tapped Horns and they do sound interesting, *IF* I can make one small enough and if a small one will perform well for what I want.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thats a good start, though probably a touch big.

I'm open to the idea of getting my head around Horn Resp and folding my own. How would I choose the best driver for a compact tapped horn? Im guessing I want a 10" or a pair of 8" drivers with really long excursion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.