FINALLY FINISHED DUAL 18" PPSL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After being sidetracked all summer:( I finally threw together one DUAL 18" PPSL using FAITAL PRO w18n8-1000.

My band simply wanted to get more lowend from a single cabinet per side. For transportation reasons we need to keep the cabinet kinda small so I used DJK's DUAL 15"PPSL design and made a few changes to fit the 18" in.

I opened up the plenum a bit to slide in the 18's. I added back corners in the plenum just so I could open up the speaker baffles behind the corners for more back airflow. I also changed to three ports 4x7x19.5

grecon144's's Library | Photobucket

We play 50-500ppl sized gigs, and my band uses a cheap EV 18 per side or a single EAW LA400 per side.
Sometimes we pair up the EAW in the center if we can.
Since I do not have any test equipment we did a quick listening comparison using a signal generator swept from 40-100hz or music along with some 2way tops. We used our bridged QSC RMX1850 with No special eqing, just our crossover at 40hz and 100hz and moving the speaker cable from one PPSL to one LA400 to the EV18.( i usually use different peq's and eqing with the different boxes.)

At lower volumes, we all agreed the DUAL 18" PPSL sounded a little louder and had better extension than either the EV's or the EAW's. With the higher power handling capabilities of the FAITAL PRO drivers, the PPSL cabinet could handle all the QSC could put out and of course was louder than either of our other boxes.

We have an extra RMX1850 that we couldn't use before. Now with this extra amp and a pair of these PPSL I think these cabinets should do just what we were after.

Now, on to finishing the second before the snow flies!

Looks good! :)

Are you going to paint it with Duratex or similar?

Have you noticed any difference in harmonic distortion levels when compared to the other cabinets?

Did you fit the drivers once the box was complete? In my proposed design I only have about an inch of 'wiggle room' to get the second, 'out' driver in past the driver mounted normally!

I started with DJK's design that incorporates a back area behind the plenum that connects the two speaker chambers. I increased the speaker baffle depth to 20" to allow room for an 18" speaker. This left about 3.25" depth in that back area.
I also added cutouts behind the plenum back corners for a little more back area.

I widened the plenum opening to 8.75" to allow the deeper 18" speakers to fit.
I installed the speakers through the plenum opening after the cabinet was finished. At the tightest I only had about .3" between the speaker frames when sliding in the second 18" speaker.

I will try to use Duratex once I finish both cabinets. Also I'll add handles, corners and rubber feet.

If you look at the screw pattern on the side of the cabinet you can imagine the back area that connects the top and bottom speaker chambers.

Attachments

• FAITAL PRO PPSL 014.jpg
    FAITAL PRO PPSL 014.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 697
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.