enclosure for custom driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this will be used for home theater type uses, playing games, and listening to some music. I value sound quality over boomyness/volume. preferably good frequency response at low volume

I was planning on making the box small-ish as practical as space is at an unfortunate premium at my living arrangements around 2 feet in any one direction would be ideal but i can go a bit larger

* Piston Diameter = 266.7 mm
* f(s)= 29.61 Hz
* R(e)= 2.52 Ohms
* Z(max)= 42.07 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 3.676
* Q(es)= 0.674
* Q(ts)= 0.570
* V(as)= 39.600 liters (1.399 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 1.33 mH
* n(0)= 0.15 %
* SPL= 94.73 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 319.70 grams
* C(ms)= 0.09 mm/N
* BL= 23.99
*Xmax= 25.4 mm

Other info:
LMS coil technology 3" copper clad aluminum voice coil, single wind @ 2.5ohms, aluminum cone from a GZ plutonium sub, high roll rubber surround 12 spoke 12" basket, custom motor made from a 3 x .750" Y32 ferrite stack, TC9 T yoke with a full copper shorting ring pressed over the poll, TC7 top plate @ .500" thick (spec for LMS coil). Max power on that sub is around 600wrms but closer to 1000wrms

I think im on the right track? I am completely new to enclosure design

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 131
this will be used for home theater type uses, playing games, and listening to some music. I value sound quality over boomyness/volume. preferably good frequency response at low volume

I think im on the right track? I am completely new to enclosure design
The ported response looks fine, as long as it is within the driver's excursion and power limits, and you are satisfied that the output is adequate with the power available to drive the sub.

The BR looks bad on paper and my gut tells me that the closed one is better.
Now, my EBP software recommendation is sealed (43).:cool:
Edit: anyway if used as a sub with it's own amp (BR) and not as a "stereo" the thing is different. More SPL on the lower end.
What's the name of the driver, if it makes any difference...

...Max power on that sub is around 600wrms but closer to 1000wrms
WTF?

Last edited:
the driver doesnt have any official name as it was custom made for me by a friend. those t/s specs were measured using some kind of measurement tool/software. i think he was giving a max power estimate. regardless at time of building and now still its irrelevant as im going to operate it with a 200w amp(an independant amp). im after signal quality at volumes that are acceptable to the neighbors not dB

only reference to a model is TC9/7/3hp-12-s2.5

sealed enclosure works very well for me as im nowhere near a carpenter, simple is good =)

sealed enclosure works very well for me as im nowhere near a carpenter, simple is good =)
A duct is not very difficult to put in, and can be sealed off with a block of hard foam (or a pair of socks;) )if desired.
The difference of around 8 dB at 20 Hz would mean the BR would sound more than twice as loud as the sealed enclosure down that low, where your ears are far less sensitive.
It would require about 1000 watts (and an 8 dB EQ boost) for the sealed enclosure to achieve the same level as the BR using 200 watts.

looks a lot like those

ill have to find out whats up with the t/s specs unless its simple to figure out. could have been a transcription error of some kind

its a little dirty as my life got busy the last few months and it was sitting around in a semi open box

all that ferrite makes it awfully heavy for its size thats for sure --

he sent me a spare spider and voice coil i could take pictures of or measure if needed/wanted but i doubt that'd be useful at all

Attachments

• IMG_20130112_221148.jpg
    IMG_20130112_221148.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20130112_221208.jpg
    IMG_20130112_221208.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20130112_221223.jpg
    IMG_20130112_221223.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Ok, these are the ones for your sub, the ones you posted are of a mockup sub I was building you, some how they got pasted to 1 sheet.
single 2.5 ohm coil, the test was with a 4 ohm with same specs

Qts = 0.43
Qes = 0.46
Qms = 6.7
Fs = 28
Res = 3.96
Ls = 4.7
Lp = 7.7
Rp = 5.1
Dia = 250
Vas = 39
mms = 280
cms = 115
bl = 20.5
SplSens = 84.5

time to play around and produce new graphs to look at i guess :)

Last edited:
single 2.5 ohm coil, the test was with a 4 ohm with same specs...
What do you mean?!
Is it a DVC Subwoofer with a 2+2 ohm dual voicecoil connected in series or a single voice coil :confused:

Piston Diameter = 266.7 mm
Probably this is the measure of the cone (Surround/Surround) of a 12". Do you have a 10" or a 12" :confused:

Dia = 250
Is this a 10" DVC Subwoofer with 10.10"/25.65cm Overall Outside Diameter :confused:

How much for the Sd parameter then. ;)

largest diameter is about 12.5 inches, the 250mm is the cone

all i know is its 2.5 ohm nominal as it stands now. the earlier specs are out the window that was incorrect data he accidentally sent me

sorry for the confusion, i was rather confused myself

Last edited:
Specs calculated from basic T/S. Notice that the other specs line up close enough except BL, which if 20.5 would drop Qes, Qts quite a bit.

Xmax?
Le@ 1 kHz?
Pe [Rms, transient peak]?

GM

Attachments

• LMS custom driver specs [ryuji] T-S.gif
    LMS custom driver specs [ryuji] T-S.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 59
Other info:
LMS coil technology 3" copper clad aluminum voice coil, single wind @ 2.5ohms, aluminum cone from a GZ plutonium sub, high roll rubber surround 12 spoke 12" basket, custom motor made from a 3 x .750" Y32 ferrite stack, TC9 T yoke with a full copper shorting ring pressed over the poll, TC7 top plate @ .500" thick (spec for LMS coil). Max power on that sub is around 600wrms but closer to 1000wrms
Very likely the "frankenstein" driver got an heavier cone (319.70 grams) vs. 280g, only one coil of the LMS (TC Sounds LMS-R 12" DVC Subwoofer) (2.52 Ohms) vs. 3.96 ohms. The basket is a "TC9" type (TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer)
How much did you pay? :D

LMS coil technology 3" copper clad aluminum voice coil, single wind @ 2.5ohms, aluminum cone from a GZ plutonium sub, (spec for LMS coil)

TC7 drivers - 12" 2567
What is a TC9 ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.