Odd subwoofer cabinet question... semi open baffle.. a kitchen cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Subwoofers on the brain lately. I've got a little system set up in the kitchen since I spent quite a bit of time in there. Just a 20w/ch integrated amp and a pair of tiny 4"woof x 1"dome sealed set out of the way of food prep.

There absolutely is no room for a dedicated sub in here without literally sacrificing and sealing off some cabinet space for the purpose.

So what sort of TS parameters should I be aiming at for a 10inch sub driver that I can mount on the side of a cabinet that has about 10 to 15 cu ft of space inside but is not necessarily sealed? It has drawers and cabinet doors and shares space with boxes of food and canned goods:). The driver would never be driven hard enough to open these doors, but decent clean very low spl bass would be nice to have in here. Space to put the driver would be about two feet back toward the wall between two cabinets that have approx 8 inches between them.... little bit of slot loading there. Will use one of these. I just got a pair extremely cheap from a friend who got a bunch from the NHT sale and never used them all.
136097d1245813903-foster-wf-100k-plate-amps-wf-100k-s.jpg

Hi, Here is a suggestion using a inexpensive driver (xmax> 3.6 mm) in a ~14cu.ft(Vrc) leaky enclosure.

Download HR and input the given numbers(or pick another Driver that suits your need):
Adjust the 'leak' in the wizard screen, i.e. Ap and Lpt until it represents your cabinet space leaks.You may also change the Vrc and Lrc too if necessary.

b :)

Attachments

• PE-10inch_290-912.JPG
    PE-10inch_290-912.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 262
I've seen this 5½" $28,- Tangband recommeded by someone for something, VAS 0.17 ft3
Tang Band W5-1138SMF 5-1/4" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker 264-917

HammerFM: Location:Folsom, CA
I like a lot of the features of this sub. It moves a decent amount of air and matches fairly closely with the published T-S specifications. I had an old ~0.45cf box lying around, so I threw it in there with a 1.5" port tuned to ~33hz and did some measurements. Solid extension down to a31hz, surprisingly smooth extension up to 1.8khz -- it could probably be used in a 2-way with a good tweeter -- and the sound isn't too bad for such a small speaker.

That said, in a shootout with even a few cheap 12" subwoofers, the distortion measurements show the weak side of using such a small cone. Even at 1W input the speaker is only below 1% THD above 100hz. Given the fairly low efficiency you'll want 10W to really get some kick out of the driver and then you're into the 3-5% THD range. Luckily most of the distortion is 2nd order, and they really sound pretty decent given the compact design. Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

I like the idea of the cabinet space near the ceiling. There actually is a about a 4.5 cu ft section that I could appropriate without the wife even noticing.... for a few months maybe. It's presently full of crapware dishes and knicknacks that ought to be in the basement anyway. That's what I say.

But I've messed around a lot with subwoofer placement in the past, and although there probably is not any solid reason that could be confirmed on paper, I've just not cared for the response I got with anything mounted on or near the ceiling.

I'm going to go with the original idea and use that Foster 100watt amp along with this 10 dollar little Jugo of a driver (at least it's got good rubber and no rust). The most fun will be doing this ultra cheap since this is the kitchen for crisssakes and the receiver, cd player, and mains are pretty middling.

So is there anything in these specs that generally disqualifies this driver for what I"m describing?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

MCM Audio Select 100W Rms 4 Ohm Rubber Surround Woofer Poly Cone 10 Inch Mcm | 55-3232 (553232) | MCM Audio Select
CaptureItPlus634895594654687500_zps95bfacc1.jpg

Or this PE one for about the same price....?
CaptureItPlus634898816621250000_zpsfd909edd.jpg

GRS 10PR-8 10" Poly Cone Rubber Surround Woofer 292-421
CaptureItPlus634898814335156250_zps189f65a8.jpg

It's been noted that MCM specs are unreliable. The bumped backplate on the MCM driver makes me wonder if the xmax really might be greater than the PE one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.