Linkwitz Transform?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just bought a BK XLS200 sub woofer and ATC SCM11 speakers which I am plugging up to a MiniDSP for crossovers and room EQ correction.

I aim to allow the speakers to roll off naturally, being sealed this should be 12db/octave with F3 of 65hz (yet to be measured), and low pass the sub woofer using MiniDSP.

Does anyone know if factory made sub woofers use any Linkwitz Transform, is also worth it as this could be easily applied in MiniDSP.

I have just bought a BK XLS200 sub woofer and ATC SCM11 speakers which I am plugging up to a MiniDSP for crossovers and room EQ correction.

I aim to allow the speakers to roll off naturally, being sealed this should be 12db/octave with F3 of 65hz (yet to be measured), and low pass the sub woofer using MiniDSP.

Does anyone know if factory made sub woofers use any Linkwitz Transform, is also worth it as this could be easily applied in MiniDSP.

They might. But I doubt many do. I did a search and found a few companies that offer circuits in their subs that do transforms, but generally from what I have seen anyway, I don't think that many of the big box store subs do anything too fancy. The reason is simple. They are usually more interested in a low price or high margins than they are in actually getting good sound from their subs. It is a volume business. Pun intended.

Recently I tried to find decent travel speakers. And I must say that it's pretty obvious that most companies right now need to sell quantity and are gennerally less interested in quality.

I know it's not scientific, but I would be surprised if very many of the common companies out there do anything fancy. There are way too many people, reviewers, and magazines that would say just enough to keep a lot of people from buying them.

I had my own thoughts on this LT and mass market bass only speakers, but was going to keep quiet.

Having read posts 2 & 3, I see I am not alone in thinking LT is too sophisticated for most users.
I also suspect most bass only speaker designers don't know what LT is, nor how they could use it to rise above the other manufacturers, at almost no cost cf. an EQ for bass boost.

The mass market don't understand the product and the mass market manufacturers don't need to be clever to fill the unknowledgeable customer aspirations.

Well, since LT is basically just a shelving bass-boost (that fits a certain mathematical model), then you could say that many manufacturers already do it. The question is how well the slopes fits the natural roll-off of the non-modified system.

For my own part, I've found the transform most readily applied to ported (!) enclosures. If you start from a box internal volume that "fits" the application you can then apply a transform to make the driver response fit the chosen port tuning.

The transform is easily applied in the analog domain, especially since your're working in continuous phase.

From a strict PoV, when you apply some infrasonic filter to the system (as many LT transform systems will have to do) it stops being an LT transform.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.