Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

weak output
weak output
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 05:43 PM   #1
skinny81 is offline skinny81
diyAudio Member

Default weak output

I have a paradigm cinema 10" sub with 250watt amp, and a Yamaha HTR-5940. For about 2 years my sub has been in the corner holding down the floor because I thought it was dead. Recently, I adjusted the settings to small speakers all the way around, LFE to the FRONT and SUB. I went from having no signal to weak signal. I pulled the whole unit and replaced it with an MK 12" powered sub to test the LFE line out. It worked fine. If it werent for tears in the foam surround it would have blown the windows out. I tested just the speaker from the Paradigm by taking it apart and hooking it up to the center channel, worked fine. I hooked up the amp to another 12" speaker and got the same low output. I also tried the multiple RCA outputs, computer, DVD, receiver, etc. when i ran everything directly to the amp it was weak on the Paradigm and strong on the MK. Even when i circumvented the receiver thinking that there were settings I was missing. Am I forgetting a test? I feel like I have isolated the problem to the amp itself... thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check if the power supply inside the amp has a normal voltage, say, 12, 24, etc. And then see if there are some blown: a resistor, or a cap (may be vented and lower voltage or short circuited), or a wire disconnected, or a connector making false contact inside or outside the box.
Old 30th March 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

hi skinny
Quote:
I hooked up the amp to another 12" speaker and got the same low output
fyi,the speaker must be in a box ,or you wil get next to none lf output.
other then that i think your amp is dead/dying.
regards erik
Old 30th March 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
skinny81 is offline skinny81
diyAudio Member

thanks guys. sounds like its time to open the amp itself and start poking around with a multimeter.
  Reply to this post

weak outputHide this!Advertise here!