Subwoofer from the dump

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sure do love the dump, but sometimes I bring back more than I take! This last trip I scored a Kenwood SW-301 powered subwoofer. Now, most of my stuff is DIY, so I know little of commercial stuff. There doesn't seem to be much info on this thing on-line, though I did get a service flyer from Elektrotanya. Can anybody tell me if these were any good? I think it's about 15 years old. It seems to be in OK condition, except the former owner probably also owned a cat- the cloth is a bit messed up.

Well, now I know why it probably went to the dump. When the circuit board that carries the rear terminals was wave flowed, the big pads didn't get hot enough and the solder never flowed to the traces. The thing lost contact and probably drove somebody nuts for a while. A good hot iron took care of it. Unfortunately the remote control never made it to the dump, so I'll probably have to hard wire some switches to the outside world so I can control the filter mode and polarity.

Well, now I know why it probably went to the dump. When the circuit board that carries the rear terminals was wave flowed, the big pads didn't get hot enough and the solder never flowed to the traces. The thing lost contact and probably drove somebody nuts for a while. A good hot iron took care of it. Unfortunately the remote control never made it to the dump, so I'll probably have to hard wire some switches to the outside world so I can control the filter mode and polarity.
I picked up a nice little multi component Sony at a dump in Alice Springs, Australia, it worked fine once I put in the missing speaker wires.
I liked it so much I shipped it back to the USA, been my shop amp since 1996.

I should volunteer at the local electronics recycling depot.

BTW if you ever buy anything on eBay without a power cord, it probaby came from a local electronics recycling depot. The cut the cords off immediately as they accept the goods. Pretty dumb when you consider that re-use is the best recycling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.