Computer sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last night, I watched the movie Inception on my computer and I thought I'd kill my Monsoon sub. This thing rattle like hell during the movie. A close inspection revealed it's still alive - as a matter of fact, I couldn't find a single rip in the speaker :eek: - but let just say I am now looking for something that will go lower and that is also more robust.

I've built quite a few project here but have been away for way too long and haven't kept up to pace with what's going on in the DIY world. My current setup is a pair of TB W3-871s fr speakers sitting on either side of my computer monitor. They are fed by my Monsoon's 2.1 amp at the moment.

What I'm looking for at this moment is building a sub enclosure to replace the Monsoon's with something that will go lower and that is also more robust. Ideally, I'd like to feed it off the Monsoon's amp but I won't mind finding a plate amp to power it if my current amp isn't powerful enough.

As always, my budget is small. Let's say I'd like to spend less than 200 $ for the sub and enclosure.

Let me know what you think would be a nice affordable setup.

Oh ! In order to minimize shipping charges, I'd prefer to order from a Canadian supplier but I'd be willing to order from a US supplier too if need be.

bjorno, the thumbnail on this thread is pretty small and I'm having difficulty figuring everything out. Also, having been away from this forum for a while, I'm not quite sure where to find the dimension of the box. Do you have something more specific about this T-TQWP project ? It seems pretty interesting indeed.

Hi,

You have to click on the thumbnail lower left corner to magnify or try to open in another window.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/167534-help-identify-sony-speaker-2.html

b:)

Attachments

• ApexJrSuper8.JPG
    ApexJrSuper8.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Hi,

You have to click on the thumbnail lower left corner to magnify or try to open in another window.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/167534-help-identify-sony-speaker-2.html

b:)
OK, so let's see if I understand this correctly.

Since there is a mention on the thickness of the material used, I believe all dimensions are outside dimensions right ?

Here we go:
Height: 124,8 cm (49.5")
Width: 24,2 cm (9.55")
Depth: 27,2 cm (10.75")
Center of the "mouth" would be 20,5 cm from the bottom of the cabinet
"Mouth" diameter would be the same as the ones for the drivers.

Am I missing something here ?

Have you ever built this enclosure. If so, do you have pictures available ? What amp are you using with it ?

If there had been no mention of the thickness of the material, I would have assumed those dimensions were internal. But since it is clearly specified, I'm trying to figure out if indeed those are inside or outside dimensions.

I really have no idea as how Hornresp works so maybe the thickness of the material is mentioned only as a reference but is not taken into account in the calculations but then again, maybe it does use it in it's calculation. That's why I put a question mark at the end of the sentence. Let's see what Bjorno has to say about this.

If there had been no mention of the thickness of the material, I would have assumed those dimensions were internal. But since it is clearly specified, I'm trying to figure out if indeed those are inside or outside dimensions.

I really have no idea as how Hornresp works so maybe the thickness of the material is mentioned only as a reference but is not taken into account in the calculations but then again, maybe it does use it in it's calculation. That's why I put a question mark at the end of the sentence. Let's see what Bjorno has to say about this.

Hi,

Sorry :eek: for my delayed answer: The given dimensions are external but in HR main screen always internal.

b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.