Opinions wanted on a car sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Battle Series

Some background:
I'd like your thoughts on whether or not these subs are suitable for home theater use (I listen to an equal mix of movies and music). Since I am a college student and have 2 of these laying around I'd figured I'd ask some knowledgeable people if they thought I could use them or if I'll have to save up and get something like a shiva or titanic.

I'd like to build a sonosub (or two) with them due mostly to cost and the simplicity to design a sonosub. Being a college student WAF is not an issure and I have plenty of woodworking experience so if you guys think something crazy like transmission line or folded horn would work well with these by all means please let me know.

Also, are the T/S parameters listed on their site enough to model with Winisd? I entered in all the numbers given on the site and winisd gave me a graph but I don't trust it since I dont know if winisd is smart enough to ignore all the zeros i had for most of the parameters.

I know this is sizeable request to read, so thanks to those who take the time to read it. :)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
How cheap are they, it is the sort of driver I'd use to build subs for 16 YO's but if the price is right you COULD use them for parties, Fs is quite high and Qts probably best for infinite baffle use, so Sonotube and sealed in corners would be my guess without going to the trouble of modeling them

Attachments

• 2xBattle-XBS-12D_paralleled-coils-T-TQWT.GIF
    2xBattle-XBS-12D_paralleled-coils-T-TQWT.GIF
    164.1 KB · Views: 103
Bjorno, that would be around 8 feet long, correct? Honestly it's not out of the question.

I'm kind of leaning toward going with Glowbugs advice and saving up for something nicer right now though.

Hi schnottus,

You’re right but you must fold the T-TQWT at least once, i.e. 8 feet of total internal length becomes 4 feet int. box height.

Here’s a better I believe more well thought-out example:

b :)

Attachments

• 2xBattle-XBS-12D__20Hz-T-TQWT.JPG
    2xBattle-XBS-12D__20Hz-T-TQWT.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 88
Bjorno, I attached an image where I drew the drivers to scale in the box since stacked they would be about half the height of the box. I did this so I can ask What L45 is pointing to in your picture. Is it the height that the port should be at, the height of the middle of the two drivers, or both?

From the looks of the schematic the top driver will be some distance up from the port, is that a bad idea?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    194.5 KB · Views: 62
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.