Reconing unknown drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i was recently given a bunch of free blown drivers

1 JBL e-145(good score AFAIK)

and some other drivers, which are completely unknown as far as i know. they seem pretty generic, cast frame, but a big magnet, with thick machined plates, and made for a 3" voicecoil. there are no markings on the basket, and no real distinguising features, other than a weird mesh over the pole piece. ill try and get some pictures up.

i wanna get some practice reconing drivers, and i wanna build another pair of wbins just for kicks, is there anyway i could get some sort of generic pro audio type PA recone? would one of the eminence ones fit do you think? how would i go about figuring parameters out after this?

do you guys think im wasting my time? i really want the learning experience, and im at least going to do the JBL. who knows maybe itll be the start of a really sick DJ monitor!

re-coning

F.W.I.W- you must've bought a pair of recone kits in past from somewhere. I bought a pair to repair an old advent box.They worked great! The same (basic instructions) apply. What's interesting is fact, (with decent supplier)... and time- you might be able to put different! cone/surround... etc. (rather than doing what I did yrs. ago.) Big difference between how P.A. speakers, ..guitar speakers... and (today) stereo speakers are put together. Am pretty sure by measuring it right- anything is possible. - I'd tear it down, keeping everything possible!... (rather than using 'tissue paper' and glue... to repair the tear in cone.) that's all I've real expertise in. - I'd like to see what you do - I've no room to pursue at this time. -I don't think it's that complicated... but (good supplier) is hard to find.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.