substituting FETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an amp (bass guitar actually) that had some blown transistors. I punched them into fairchildsemi.com and they cross referenced to a new part. I installed this part but I still have a distorted sound (but at least i have sound now...). I'm just wondering if it could have anything to do with the FETs or is it simply a deeper problem? I'll check it on a scope tonight...

original:
IRFP9240/IRFP240
referenced to:
19N20C/12P20

Now, I had those so they were free. Is it worth the $20 or so to get an original FET set? Will it have any impact on sound quality?

The replacement devices are probably close enough to get you by. But, there's a very good chance something else is still wrong with your amp. So, either your old output devices failed and took out other parts, or other parts failed and took out the outputs. Either way something's still wrong and needs further troubleshooting. I doubt your original outputs simply failed for no reason. I'd continue troubleshooting paying attention to the gate-drive resistors, bias circuitry, class 'A' drivers, etc. to locate additional problems.

no, i just didn't pay any attention to how i wrote them here, sorry.

I went ahead and bought a set of original transistors that were a good deal. I'll continue to troubleshoot it. It's tough because I can't find the schematic anywhere. its an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.