William T Chater power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone have a chance to heard a "40W all-mosfet power amp" designed by William T Chater? The article appears in Audio Amateur, and from searching in Google, seems not many words about this amp, but the remaining few contains words like "highly recomended" :D
How does this amp sounds? It is interesting because the design is not simple, and many servo's in 1 amp.

Has anyone have a chance to heard a "40W all-mosfet power amp" designed by William T Chater? The article appears in Audio Amateur, and from searching in Google, seems not many words about this amp, but the remaining few contains words like "highly recomended" :D
How does this amp sounds? It is interesting because the design is not simple, and many servo's in 1 amp.
Here the patent from this author
Bias control for power amplifiers
in this case also this thread could be of interest:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...better-audio-non-complements-audio-power.html
I want to know brands with such an amplifier as commercial home audio product. Who knows more?

I built this amp on PCB's from TAA. Had problems which were set straight with the Author's help. He was very willing to help with problems. I dont remember much about the performance which probably means it was'nt that special.VERY high parts count and as I recall there were iron beads to prevent oscillation. I doubt anyone would build it today considering what is now available in DIY Amp field. Odd but my recollection was '25 watts' out.

I built this amp on PCB's from TAA. Had problems which were set straight with the Author's help. He was very willing to help with problems. I dont remember much about the performance which probably means it was'nt that special.VERY high parts count and as I recall there were iron beads to prevent oscillation. I doubt anyone would build it today considering what is now available in DIY Amp field. Odd but my recollection was '25 watts' out.
Interesting. Was it shortly after the publication of this magazine?
How old was Mr. William T Chater in those days?
If Mr. Chater is still working in electronics, he knows certainly any commercial brands, where this topology is inside.
Thanks for advices.
By post #40 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...tter-audio-non-complements-audio-power-4.html
you will find a pic of cover from this magazine

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.