Rail Voltage VS Output Power ????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you determine what rail voltage you will need for a given output power???

I have noticed most 200 WPC @ 8 ohms amplifiers use +/-70V rails.

But i think the 250Wpc hafler DH-500 used +/- 85vdc rails...

What is the ratio of output RMS to rail voltage??? if 200W @ 8 ohm = 40Vrms and 250W@8= 44.75V rms????

or if i was looking to build a 400W@8 ohm amp or 1000W@ 8 ohm amp, how would i determin what voltage rails i would need???? 400w= 56Vrms & 1000W=89.5Vrms

Zero :cool:

You can work out the rms voltage ok.
The peak voltage formula is: Vpk= sqr root(2 * Power * resistance)
Rail voltage formula is approx: Vrail = Vpk + 5 to 10 volts.
I don't know how to predict the loss more closely than 5 to 10 volts. It must depend on emitter resistors, collector resistors if any, droop in the rails under load, how close to rail the VAS can drive the output stage, the number of output transistors and output resistances.
Any thoughts on other losses and how to calculate?

The power is determined by the load. The load draws the power, the amp does not push the power out. So you have to start with the load.

If it is 8 ohms or whatever, then you can calculate what voltage must be across the load to result in the power wanted. That will also calculate how much current the amp must source at the determined voltage.

Figuring a sine wave, 1.414 times the RMS voltage of the sine gives you peak. The amp must have enough voltage to hit that peak. And all the above mentioned things like how close to rail can the output be driven must be added into the mix.

You can do this in reverse and determine what would be the maximum output power of an amp. The rails limit the peak output voltage. And then there is always the current to do the job.

Hi, using that exel sheet amp_designer what values should I use for the transistor 2SA1302 ,since that sheet is intended for MOS-FET and I dont know what is the Rds(on) and Vgs(th) in this transistor

In the number of pairs of devices if I use two it mens in paralel?

Tanks for help :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.