DIY transformer

Okay here's my question: After Burning amp events I would eventually be alone doing the final cleanup, and invariably stumble on a heavy object or two close to the front door of the firehouse, left when the person realized that there was no way they would be able to carry it to their car. I’ve gotten a couple of huge heatsinks this way, and a couple of transformers.

The particular transformer I would like to discuss is a 1500VA one that had been dragged across a bit of concrete, so there’s a bit of wear to the outer tape and copper exposed in a couple of places.

So, if 2 wraps of copper wire are touching and short out, does that just lose one coil wind and thus not matter much, or does it create a “shorted coil” which would be “quite bad” ?

I need to know!

Does create a shorted turn, but depending on how good you are at transformer surgery you might be able to save it.

There are 64 windings.
and ofcourse midpoint at 32
Thats 1,32 Volt pr winding :)

That puts it around 2kVA. It is bigger than the Anteks, but not a *lot*.

It's the transformer from this amplifier.

Next-proaudio MA3800

Looks like similar to RMX4050, which is rated to draw about 1600 VA off the wall socket. Pro amplifier transformers are sized for average current draw with heavily distorted music, not for full sine wave power (which is never used because it sounds bad, blows the speakers and overheats the output transistors). The primary would be good for between 1.6k and 2kVA long term average, with a time constant approaching an hour (try that with a stinking switch mode supply and see how far you get). Plenty for your application. Check the amp draw rating on the back of the amplifier - that will tell you four sure. What gauge wire did you end up using for the secondary? Transformer wire is good for 3.2 amps per square millimeter, or about half its current “rating” when used for building wiring (according to code). #12 is normally used for 20 amp circuits, so good for about 10 in trafo windings where heat builds up. Goes up/down one dB per AWG (+3 AWG is half the current, -3 is double).

While removing and putting back turns on a transformer iron core seems a simple task, there are often hidden aspects anyone doing such a job, to consider, and SATISFY. Air cooled transformers can reach winding temperatures not suitable for common PVC plastic that is used as electrical insulation. My rule is to avoid such plastics, and use what is known and approved to safely work for transformers.

Yes, as the thread originator wrote, plastic insulated wire is cheap compared with enameled winding copper wire, but this is no excuse to expose oneself to the risks of fire and electrocution.

For insulation covering soldered joints I recomment the use of fibreglass heat shealds. They are available at very reasonable prices.

Account closed
Joined 2010
It is the original lacquered thread that is put back on.
There is nothing that has been pulled over the asphalt nor has it been thrown around with it.
The insulation under the winding I have put on again is the one that has been on all the time.
In a few places the copper wire is not varnished but those places do not come close to anything else.
The windings are even tighter than those that originally sat there.
I have tried the transformer on an amplifier module and it works.

Let us close the debate here

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks to both who replied. I’ll examine the wire very carefully and see what can be done. I don’t think any turns are actually shorted, but of course I don’t want to chance exposed copper touching! The warnings about materials and temperature are helpful…

Does create a shorted turn, but depending on how good you are at transformer surgery you might be able to save it.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ah, another question: on a step down Transformer is the mains wiring usually interior? I.e. the first coil wrapped? And then the secondary added after that? I will of course determine this when I examine it, but I will have to do a deep dive into the attic to find it and I’m curious….

The primary is usually interior on most toroid transformers, even the higher voltage tube types from Antek. But that is NOT always the case. I have run into some 1kVA units, with the 27 volt dual secondaries inside, and a single non-bifilar 100V/50 Hz primary outside. Similar pulls out of the same type of telecom equipment for 115V/60 Hz had the (dual) primary inside. Both types got extra secondaries added (by me), but the ones with the primary outside got an extra layer of tape put on before adding the other winding. I had one with damaged tape, and it got a dozen varnish dips before putting on new tape and the other winding. Enough buildup to coat things pretty good. I didn’t want that primary shorting out on me.