1st of 2 - NAD 216 THX Full Restoration

I'm restoring two NAD 216 THX Amps, and have some pictures for you all. These have never been touched and the Electrolytes have 9444 on them. So from my understanding 1994, 44th week. I think every one of the caps has some discoloration near them. And everyone I removed has electrolytes on the board. I'm amazed it plays so well. I don't trust it though so hence the restore. Will be doing a DUAL 1600 after this.

I'm 99% sure this is the electrolyte fluid and not glue. There is also electrolyte on top of some of the other caps, as well as around the bases. When I heard it, at the guys house I bought them from, they sounded good. I figured it would be a restore. And have worked on the outside (fixing scratches) as well as the inside. Can't wait for a listen when I'm done.

I'm also going to be using insulated wire connectors to mend these wires so that I (or another Tech) can remove this center board again. I will test each one, and will wrap them in tape when I'm done and can confirm they are good connections with a meter.

I got a set of gray shaded felt type pens and been using them to repair the scratches on the cases. Many of them are vanishing, and it doesn't look like its been repaired. They're also permanent. The corners are being a bit hard to cover but they're almost 100%. A few more swipes from the pen may finish them.

I'm going to replace them all with 100% top quality caps. And I want to replace the RCA's on the back with some that are more reliable. The casing on the back RCA's looks broken as well. Got to get some alcohol to clean the board with. Or should I use something else?

Being careful not to heat the board too much when removing these. And I didn't check the caps for a charge because they hadn't been plugged in for a month.

I am doing these resto's because I enjoy this stuff, and want to learn more about EE. My father is also an Electrical Engineer, and I get to talk to him about this stuff. He's taught me this stuff since I was tiny.

As always all comments, hints and questions that are polite are welcome. I'll do my best to answer them. I'm still learning a lot.

*** More Pictures and Video Coming! ===

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpg
    IMG_4242.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4243.jpg
    IMG_4243.jpg
    863.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4244.jpg
    IMG_4244.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4240.jpg