a little capacitor locating help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Philips main power supply capacitors

Being as newbie as it gets about replacing these and I'm unsure witch is the actual parts # itself I included everything thats printed on the side of one. I'm looking to source 4 of those as new.

3186DC21M0
70HPA3
2100UF 2020%
70VDC 95 SURGE
85C MAX
362 9550

I'm also unsure where to source replacements, or an counterpart by Philips or someone else. As long as they are the same values and similar quality or better.

The originals were put in the amp in 1991 and stood the tests of time. Strongly prefer not to under cut ie skimp on new ones.

2100 microFarads, 70V, max operating temp 85C
You may exceed any of those values but should not fail to meet them.
Check and measure mounting and pin spacing, as well as dimensions to fit the location.
As for quality, any brand like Panasonic, Nichicon, Cornell, etc should be fine.

Philips are good
Like wiseoldtech says, what is your problem?
Check the value, and you will easily get 2200 uF, 100 volts as a close enough substitute if needed.
Capacitance function is now available on some digital multi meters.
You may have a problem if the unit was not in use, they may have to be reformed.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's not easy to find a reference to the part number which would tell us the dimensions and style, i.e the terminals of the capacitor. It may have plain wire leads at some unspecified spacing or it may be a modern "snap-in" style which has a standard, 10mm spacing. If it is 10mm spacing, there are many choices available out there. Otherwise, you may need to adapt the hole spacinq to suit available replacements.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Could we have the Philips model number too? I suspect yours may be in the FA9XX series which uses various standard series caps but the popular FA930 model has 2x4,700uF in the power amp and 2x2,200uF in the preamp supplies.

Last edited:
Ok, so the caps are now 30 years old.
Are they defective?
Or are you simply following what others say on internet blogs about replacement?
Because if that's the case, it's become a sickness and in most cases is not justified.
Some units sit in the closet their whole life; some are used 2200 hours a year until they start sounding "polite" (no volume peaks in classical music) and are put away or sold off. The latter have dried up their mains caps and maybe other electrolytics.
An inexpensive test for mains cap function is to measure the AC voltage out of the unit on a speaker of known impedance, at just before clipping. Clipping makes sound cramped. Speaker impedance is usually 4/3 * speaker resistance. Use an Analog voltmeter for voltage, cheap DVM produce random numbers on music. As the $25 analog vom with 20 vac & 100 vac scales I saw at a farm store last week. I use an FM pocket radio for signal source, that I fished out of the trash & put a new volume pot in.
P=(V^2)/Z where Z is impedance. If P is much < rated power, your mains caps are toast. No $120 ESR meter needed. Capacitance meters don't help much, dried up electrolytic caps often read 10-30% high in capacitance.
If you don't have rated power for the model, 2100 uf caps indicate 20-60 watts/channel max.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.