Meridian 557 vs. Rotel RB-1090

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a different amp to power my second set of speakers in another room. I currently use a Meridian 557 in my office which is my main listening room (yes, because I work too many hours) but it's not a place for listening with others. I've been using a Rotel RB-990BX to power the speakers in my family room which has space for lots of people but the 990 only has single ended inputs and doesn't match up to the Meridian 557 in sound quality. I'm thinking of getting either another Meridian 557 or perhaps a Rotel RB-1090.

Let me know if you have experience listening to both the Meridian 557 and the Rotel RB-1090 and how you feel the sound quality compares between these two amps.

Thanks!

Rotel wasn't as popular in the UK as it seems to be in the USA other Japanese makes of that era were more popular , I cannot comment on Rotel as I never had one through my hands for repair but I cant think of any owners I have met in the past.

Meridian I know and ( to me ) is a vast step up in quality of sound reproduction ,your Rotel is selling for just under $500 at the moment, a big discount from the original $2000, by various sellers I would have thought with the specifications it has it would be selling for more than that some old quality amplifiers actually increase in price.

The review of the Rotel isn't equaled everywhere but if you like the sound ---- I would buy a Meridian but that's me .

The Meridian gets 4.7 out of 5 while the Rotel gets 2.7 out of 5.

I saw that 2.7 out of 5 in the Google SERP heading as well but if you go to the actual review page the review total is 4.6 out of 5 so for what those reviews are worth, they are really close. I was just hoping someone would have had a chance to hear them in relation to each other.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Many years ago I had purchased a “lightly” used Rotel RB-1090. It was a monster, I believe approximately 80lbs. It sounded very good, but in my opinion had the bit of “brightness” that was in common with smaller Rotel amps I owned (RB-1080 and RMB-1095). Unfortunately, it didn’t last long. One channel had a massive malfunction and took out a speaker. It’s was non repairable:(
I don’t have experience with the Meridian. Maybe research both their repair history’s and pick the more reliable one. The Rotel was not easy to work on, the chassis was PACKED!!

Franking speaking i don't see so much differences between 990 and 1090. The schematics are very similar. It is the classic amp in AB class in complementary simmetry with double differencial in input.
Obviously 1090 is much more powerful so many components are different and the schematics is made to have in control over 300w rms at 8 ohm but, if you don't like the sound of 990 it will be probably the same for 1090. But last word is only one, you have to listen it.

Well, since I've owned a Meridian 557 since I bought it new in 1998 and the only failure so far has been a cracked speaker terminal, I think Meridian would win that race. :)

Thanks for the info. I can't imagine how it must have felt to have an amp blow and take out one of your speakers.

I guess I can say the same thing in a way. Even though I have a dual EE/CS degree and spent a ton of time in college learning everything there was about analog design, all my jobs have been related to digital hardware and software, and software only for many years. When my 557 wouldn't power up I realized just how much I have missed working on analog technology and it's all coming back to me now that I've decided to dig back into it. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.