Upgrade/Engineer recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks.

This is my first post so I'm not too sure if I'm even in the right place? SO please be gentle!!!

I have a Marantz PM6005 Amp that started to make popping/cracking sounds in the left channel and now it has stopped working altogether....But when I select Source Direct mode, and bypass any of the amps tuning functions, (treble/base/balance) it works fine!!!!! The same scenarios occur when I plug in a pair of headphones!

Any ideas what may be causing this issue and also can anyone recommend a good service engineer in the Kidderminster area of Worcestershire, UK please???

Also if I am going to have it repaired does anyone know of any upgrades that I could ask to be made to take advantage of this situation whilst it's in the hands of the engineer????

Many thanks everyone. It's much appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You need to be 100% certain that the problem is 'fixed' when you switch to Direct Mode and that it is not just a coincidence.

If you are sure and the unit performs perfectly in that condition then it may be nothing more than a dodgy relay used for switching between direct and not.

Well worth having a look at the relay. It may even just need resoldering.

This is the tone control section and the relay selects between a direct path or a path that goes through the tone circuitry.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-26 150338.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-26 150338.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2021-01-26 150407.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-26 150407.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 107
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First step then would be to physically locate that relay on the board and with the amp on (volume low) gently give it a few sharp taps with an insulated object such as a pen and see if anything changes.

If you are 100% sure all is well when it is in direct mode then it has to be either the relay (most likely) or a problem with the tone circuit around the relay (unlikely). A bad solder joint is a distinct possiblity and that would need a good visual inspection.

Bad joints look like this (solder cracks in a ring around the component)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-26 152311.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-26 152311.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 108
Have a denon avr 3300, only works in stereo bypass or direct modes. Turns out it’s a common failure with these units, the dsp chip mount brakes. There was a diy procedure that might have fixed this but I didn’t need an avr so I ripped out the amp section and use it to power subs. Get a schematic, see if the tonal controls are a physical or a digital function...if a fix cost more time/money than the marantz is worth you can always use it as a slave amp through the direct inputs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.