Driver replacement bjt -> mosfet in broken Accuphase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have broken power amp in integrated Accuphase E460. Power mosfets are obsolete 2SJ618 / 2SK3497. I replaced it with FQA36P15 / 28N15 used by Acu in newest E800 integrated amp. The main problem is with biasing. New mosfets need more biasing voltage (Vgs(th) is 2x higher). So I change the R11 to higher value. Everything works but in this case drivers (2SA1837/C4793) dissipating too much and have about 70*C (38*C with standard biasing voltage). I thought to change them to mosfets like IRF610/9610, they have the same pinout but Vgs(th) similar to new output mosfets. It could work without problems ? I will be grateful for help. Schematics below are from E550 not E460, but they are the same like in 460, only rail voltages are 2x higher.

Attachments

• Bez tytułu.png
    Bez tytułu.png
    606.2 KB · Views: 500
Glad we could help.

Looking at the output bias (60mV//0R22), this will give you something like 15W classe A into 8Ohm, nice, heatsinks must be quite large.

Does anybody has an idea what the actual benefit is of paralleling 2 input stages as in the circuit of post 1?

Hello Alex,

Yes, you need to increase R11. You have 2k stock value. In E460 AB class amp R11 was 1,5k and I changed it to 2k. I hit the correct bias at 3/4 turn potentiometer. You need more idle current (class A) so I suggest about 2,5-3k. Remember, always turn bias potentiometer CCW before power up the amp.
You will also need to increase the R23 like me.
Also check all resistors, because I have broken almost every piece from drivers to output mosfets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.