LJM 12-2 ver4 gnd short to signal gnd.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

My first post here so please be patient.

I have built my first diy ampli with LJM 12-2 ver4 amp. It's decent but doing FFT i see harmonics on 50hz, 150hz,250hz and so on.

I was trying to solve this but I found that speaker ground is shorted to signal ground. I wonder if this is normal. My main network work at 50hz but strangely to me I don't see 100hz harmonic. I think this is related to main 50hz but why I don't have 100hz harmonic ? 150hz and so on are even bigger then 50hz harmonic.
I did the same FFT on my NAD 902 and I don't have this problem.

Can someone help me clarifying this ?

I read it. You suggest I have cancellation of 100hz harmonic from another opposed harmonic present on my ampli ?
I'll read it again and think about it better.

On that case my problem is still 50hz.
The problem is that I can't get rid of it and I think the cause is that in this ljm 12-2 the ground is shorted to signal ground.

What do you think ? I don't understand why they did this in any case.
Is it a problem of this specific board ? I don't see that short between ground and signal ground in the riginal schematic.

They are all linked on LJM boards, but there are separate ground planes on the PCB. If I remember correctly, it's a via-hole linking them on the L12-2. You can drill it out and connect a ground break resistor between them if you have hum problems, but first thing to do is to look for ground loops in your setup, and minimize loop areas.

I'm going to dig in to that. Just found the hole you talk about but it's shorted to input signal. It's just up the connector and I see only that hole in the board. About ground loop i can exclude it atm. I don't have HUM I can hear but just pretty hign harmonic on 150hz and 250hz and so on going down. They are about the same db of the first 1khz harmonic of the signal I feed in the amplifier.

I don't see them on the NAD so I decided to investigate.

Really appreciatte.

I'll invesitgate that thanks.

I think I found the hole you talk about. It's up the signal connector but it's grounded to signal ground too and then to speaker ground.
I don't have HUM I can hear but the 50hz harmonic are quite big. Same db as the first harmonic of the 1khz signal to fft the amplifier.
I don't see that on my NAD so I decided to investigate if this is ljm 12-2 project related or to my specific amplifier project. Atm I can't find any ground loop related but can't exclude that at all.

Really appreciate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.