Leave it on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard from many that leaving on your electronics isn't always bad and sometimes it might be in your advantage.
More specifically in solid state amps the burst of power during the power on period can cause more Harm than the "fatigue" components might experience when having electricity flowing through them all the time. You also don't have to wait for them to heat up for the best performance.
Is this true in your opinion? I get that class d are also very efficient so you aren't even waiting a lot of power but what about class a-ab?

No need to wait for warm up with modern electronics, its instantly ready.

When a circuit is run very hot, its possibly going to last longer kept at one temperature, but its also using a lot of power if its that hot, so you'd be wasting a lot. A cool running circuit isn't subject to thermal stress so there's no argument for leaving it powered. Basically I'd recommend switch off if not in use.

Anything with a cooling fan accumulates dust when its on, and 24/7 operation usually means a _lot_ of dust dirt and grime build up, which if not dealt with can cause premature failure unless you regularly replace filters and clean the unit.

And the other issue is that if the unit fails unattended it may suffer more damage because no-one's around to cut the power before more damage is done - an amplifier going into oscillation might take out your speakers, catch fire internally, wake you or the neighbours, etc etc.

So what about class a-b? Class a we know dissipates significant power even at idle, in order to hold the "class" throughout the amplified cycle. A class a-b output may dissipate a few watts at idle, back that through the (assuming linear) power supply inefficiency and you have several watts of 24/7 power waste...

You'd need to balance that against simply turning your system on 1/2 hour ahead of your listening time. You could use a 24 hr evening-on AC timer, so it's warm and ready to play when you get home.

There's a "MOV" component that can soften the blow of a sudden connection to the AC line; it works "once" and then needs to be reset by a power off period of many minutes. Ideal for the 24 hr evening-on timer situation. Many PC power supplys have these internally - a little black loli on some ceramic standoffs.

I'm sure someone around here has designed such a power-on softening circuit, with names like "smooth like buttah", "soft as a feather pillow", etc :')

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Most of the "idling" current in modern, retail audio gear is used up in a microprocessor based "power management" circuit that runs from a smaller 5-7VA transformer designed for continuous use - the only part that that stays on 24/7 unless you over-ride the safety system. Associated gear may be powered on/off by a 12V daisy-chained control wiring system too.

Not many power amplifiers have a simple power switch any more. If you believe the safety record of these products, the underwriter approvals and the fact that the damage from a failure will be less with a small standby power supply than with some big 10kg toroid and beer-can sized caps exploding, this is the better way to go.

I have seen the result of a couple of integrated amplifiers going up in flames whilst the owners were absent. Both houses survived but the carpet, rear wall and ceiling were blackened, burnt and had to be replaced, along with soft furnishings etc. throughout, in one of them. So, is it a good idea to leave the system on? Nope and if you rely on home insurance to save your bacon, double nope.

Personally, I switch on well before I get to relax and listen seriously. That allows me to do what I have to first and let the amp warm up for however long it takes, then enjoy. Unless its a class A or heavily biased class AB amplification, it really makes little difference but my mood sure does and that often requires a bit of easing down to a level suited to the music - maybe just details but I still find them helpful.

When a circuit is run very hot, its possibly going to last longer kept at one temperature, but its also using a lot of power if its that hot, so you'd be wasting a lot. A cool running circuit isn't subject to thermal stress so there's no argument for leaving it powered. Basically I'd recommend switch off if not in use.

Most ageing processes go faster at higher temperatures in accordance with Arrhenius' law, so I'd also switch it off if it does get hot.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I thought debates like this one were long gone since the 1990's, when people would discuss if they should turn their new-fangled home computers off or leave them on.
I thought it was silly back then to "leave it on", and still do.
I've never seen a mention in any owner's manual for anything to be "left on" when not in use.
But.... who reads owners manuals, right?

Keep it on! Here’s why...

1. Reduced wear and tear on the power switch
2. Blow-hard at PS audio says so
3. You don’t see them clicking nuclear reactors on and off do you?

Well.
1. save a $3 powerswitch at the cost of 1000KWh of electricity. Don't make much sense.
3. No they dont turn it of, since there is a constant flow and use. However, they DO regulate the power production by need.

I would never leave even my class A/B amp on. But that one also consumes as much power on idle as a 25W class A stereo amp.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard from many that leaving on your electronics isn't always bad and sometimes it might be in your advantage.
More specifically in solid state amps the burst of power during the power on period can cause more Harm than the "fatigue" components might experience when having electricity flowing through them all the time. You also don't have to wait for them to heat up for the best performance.
Is this true in your opinion? I get that class d are also very efficient so you aren't even waiting a lot of power but what about class a-ab?

It all depends which exact audio or other component you are asking about.
There are audio components, which are meant to be on/stand by all the time. Like remote controlled receivers, which run very small transformer all the time to be able to receive infrared signal to turn it on fully. DVD and blueray players are similar, consume very small power in stand by.
Some preamps, like Nikko or Sanyo Plus, which I have, when on consume miniscule amount of electricity, and run cold in normal operation. I leave those on all the time. They consume 5-7 watts when on, not much electricity saving if I run big classA amps all the time. Those are on only when listening.
You do not turn you digital clock off when you are leaving the house, right?

Last edited:
(...) when people would discuss if they should turn their new-fangled home computers off or leave them on.

Hey...

--Back in 1990 my parents got me a brand new Commodore PC-40 III, just a PC AT clone really. I left it on (I had a hunch) and the power supply failed within 48 hrs. They replaced it. I suppose infant mortality (see Bathtub curve - Wikipedia) is a reason to leave your gear on for a few days when first purchased. But no need to go longer than this I suppose. If you use your gear for at least a couple hours every time, switches and temperatures won't be cycled too often. It is my experience that electronics constantly on has a greater chance of ultimate failure due to increased heat! Bulging electrolytic capacitors, discolored circuit boards etc.

--As for leaving power amp on, I used to leave my ADCOM GFA-535, a first generation unit I bought new in 1991. Some folks can see where this is going... It is known that it has a kludged grounding scheme. I remember one vert quiet night when I was reading in silence and the thing came alive (well, one channel only)! With a very clear reproduction of the CB radio of a passing car (guy must have had an rf amplifier inhis car). Scared the s... out of me the first time! I would not have found out that my ADCOM amp was a broadband AM receiver...

Cheers!

--Christian

I power down electronic equipment I can when not around, don't want a fire to happen for no reason.

Some stuff does heat up, I have played with designs that sound "better" when warm (e.g. bias currents are correct when warm and change with temperature), but even then the difference is just small, might just be psychological...

Plus I just like turning everything on when I want to use it. Gives you a real sense of POWER!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.