Symasym vs Mauro Penasa MyRef C

Symasym, MyRef C, Or Something else within these two price range

• Symasym

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • MyRef C

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i am new to the world of DIY amps. I currently have a jadis dp60l preamp paired with audio analogue donizetti monoblocks. I was wondering which amp is better sounding and more worth to build, symasym or myref C. I can get build both with the same price, so i just wanted to know which one is better to build. Thanks!

I've not heard either of them, but based on everything I've read about them I would expect my own ears to find the Penasa amplifier the cleaner sounding of the two with absolutely nothing to complain about and the Symasym to have some of it's own personality that may or may not be just what I'm looking for.

I have built two Symasym and in the end I dissasembled them. Sound is clean, clear, open and punchy, but very transistory - grainy, instruments have lost their color, overall sound is uninvolving.

Than I build DOGC-MK3 (DOGC-H) and it sounds more like music and still it is clear, clean very dynamic.

I have not built the Freeman version ( I hear it is very good. Pun intended) but my two Twisted Pear kits are fabulous. Very whole and matching top to bottom. Smooth and natural.

I have a 10” two way that sounds fantastic with it.

Best I ever heard, no, not by a long shot. But for the money, penny for penny it can complete with anything.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Maybe instead of asking questions to everyone about many amplifiers, you could read and ask questions in the threads that refer to specific types. That way, you get the attention of others who are interested and probably know something more about that particular design and maybe similar ones, among the hundreds of others that are discussed and compared here too.

Symasym actually came in several versions, some are good, powerful amps for general purposes, others are a bit smaller and maybe more refined according to what modifications are fitted. They are not "reference" class designs though and it seems many people also tried to design their own Symasyms and PCBs. That would likely be unwise unless we know the theory of good audio design and PCB layout, like professionals.

It is virtually impossible to learn much about how various designs will sound to you unless you are able to listen for yourself. Start with something excellent like Mauro's design by all means but you will absolutely have to build it to specification if you expect to get sound quality comparable to the original. Everything matters to good sound, assuming that's what you are looking for.

I recently found out that i can obtain the pcb of one of the popular amps in DIYAudio, made by apexaudio, the Fx8 Bimo mod and the AX16 Bimo mod. Why the bimo mod? it;s because he is from the same country as me. So, my question is, which is better out of the four amps? Thanks!

my friend, there are many great amp designs and many that you will be perfectly happy with - best don’t give yourself a headache going around in circles trying to choose one or you’ll lose the fun of it all and may as well just buy a ready assembled amp module from eBay.

I would suggest you build something that you believe you will enjoy building and has good availability of parts, is well supported = people around here can help because they’ve built one too. You won’t go wrong with any of the popular choices.

FWIW, the Apex amps have been popular, having a proven pcb will make life much easier, plus bimo is a smart dude so if he can help advise you whilst you build something then it could be a good option in my opinion.

Last edited:
I recently found out that i can obtain the pcb of one of the popular amps in DIYAudio, made by apexaudio, the Fx8 Bimo mod and the AX16 Bimo mod. Why the bimo mod? it;s because he is from the same country as me. So, my question is, which is better out of the four amps? Thanks!

Hi, incredible80

"Salam kenal"

Sysmasym have good bass. but ordinary in high frequency.
I do not have to listen Mauro Panesa, I can not comment.
But if you like pleasing sound, you can choose FX8 mod, because the distortion is H2 dominant. But if you like more accurate sound, you should choose AX16 mod.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.