TDA8954 based amp - any opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, so "acquired" what I call a "Boutique" amp (somewhat expensive - $2200 new - name withheld) that surprised me on how good it sounded. Its been in my main system for a few weeks and continues to impress... running balanced from my Melos SHA Gold preamp (6922 based pre).

I got a little tipsy the other night (yup, Guinness) and decided to look and see what powers this amp - expecting an Icepower or Ncore, or some new Class D stuff - so after removing the smallish heatsink, I see a single Class D TDA8954J (thru hole) chip. Now this amp with single ship can do 2 x single ended input, 2 x balanced input or bridged mono balanced input. I am running 2 x balanced.

Not really familiar with it (more familiar with Hypex, Icepower, Tripath, etc) and these TDA8954 based modules are all over ebay for dirt cheap ($13 / channel shipped from China??) and just reading up on datasheets....

Anyway, (while still tipsy) I bought a pair of these modules off ebay - each module has two TDA8954TH (SMD) and will play around with them when received.

Anyone familiar with these? They have been implemented in at least one high end amp maker...

I see a single Class D TDA8954J (thru hole) chip. Now this amp with single ship can do 2 x single ended input, 2 x balanced input or bridged mono balanced input. I am running 2 x balanced.
Datasheet says 0.03% THD, so pretty good for class D, not SotA, but pretty good.

Not really familiar with it (more familiar with Hypex, Icepower, Tripath, etc) and these TDA8954 based modules are all over ebay for dirt cheap ($13 / channel shipped from China??) and just reading up on datasheets....
$13 is a rather a ripoff, Farnell have the bare chips at about £6 single, £4 in quantity, knows if the eBay modules are upto spec.

[ On second thoughts they are 210W, so the inductors will be expensive, so not a ripoff - but I wouldn't expect the inductors to be quite big enough on an eBay module - definitely scope for DIY version ]

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.