Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

ACA VS JLH Amplifiers
ACA VS JLH Amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 02:11 PM   #1
markw51 is offline markw51  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ACA VS JLH Amplifiers

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has listened to both types of low power class A amplifiers with high efficiency speakers. Did you prefer one over the other or do they sound pretty much the same?
Old 14th January 2020, 04:51 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

I have yet to find two amplifiers which sound exactly the same.
If people claim so, its because their signal source or speakers or hearing is not up to the task.
What are you trying to achieve with this thread? Only you can decide how something sounds.
I got three aca amps, and about half a dozen versions of jlh amps. Comparison depends on lots of factors, speakers mainly. I often use low power classA amps in biamp systems, that allows them to shine. Aca in one application can suck, yet sound quite sublime in another. Like headphone amp for instance. Posibilities are limitless.
Why don't you built both, compare, and report back.
Should be fun.
Old 14th January 2020, 05:43 PM   #3
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by adason View Post
I have yet to find two amplifiers which sound exactly the same.
If people claim so, its because their signal source or speakers or hearing is not up to the task.
What are you trying to achieve with this thread? Only you can decide how something sounds.
I got three aca amps, and about half a dozen versions of jlh amps. Comparison depends on lots of factors, speakers mainly. I often use low power classA amps in biamp systems, that allows them to shine. Aca in one application can suck, yet sound quite sublime in another. Like headphone amp for instance. Posibilities are limitless.
Why don't you built both, compare, and report back.
Should be fun.
I agree for the most part that listening to opinions of how an amp sounds is not real informative. However it looks like you're asking him to report back what he hears after he tries both of these out, but when he asks what you hear you give him a lecture.
Old 14th January 2020, 06:01 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

sorry about that, ignore my post markw51

ACA VS JLH AmplifiersHide this!Advertise here!