Nad 2100PE in Spice - Can't get protection circuit to work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

Don't understand the over-current protection scheme on this amp. Q4 needs to be forward biased to switch on once a threshold (measured across R33) has been reached. It all goes pear shaped after R8 (all references are my part numbering), marked B on the attached waveform. ER+ (emitter resistor high side) is what I would expect to see, minus some loss after going through the 1K5. E, the emitter of Q4 is also shown. I know next to nothing about Spice - if you have any suggestions, parameters / settings I've done wrong, please share. Transistor models are not for the original devices, I have listed these in blue text. If anyone can improve on them and re-upload, that would be great :)

Interestingly, if D4 is reversed, then the circuit works, even on a real amplifier. Unfortunately it's a bit too sensitive then.

Q1 approximates the protection circuit IC, we want the junction of Q1 and R27 to stay below pin 1 threshold of approx .7v under normal operating conditions.

Also attached is a partial of the original 2100 service manual. The full manual is available as a free download from Hi-Fi Engine.

Not related, attached is an image of the waveform as Class-G kicks in, for anyone interested.

Attachments

• Nad2100_Rev1.asc
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Nad2100_Rev1.pdf
    31 KB · Views: 39
  • Nad2100wave_Q4.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Nad2100wave_PE.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Nad_2100_Protect.png
    Nad_2100_Protect.png
    357.4 KB · Views: 59
Forgot to add the .asc file will want to access a txt file in c:\ for some of the models. I used a zip file posted by Mooly in 2018. I see the file contains Cordel models and is copyrighted so didn't attach it. I'm sure there will be an updated version by now available for download on diyaudio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.