Adcom GFA 555se w/ loud white noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Again I've blown this amp twice now. (hand to forehead) This time not due to low ohm load but I switched an inductor in the passive xo, music was stopped amp on, and a strange thing happened.

The circuit in question was a split to two drivers a 15" SBa and a 12" B&C pro. each having an LR2 XO and a LCR filter. When I disconnected the inductor from the 15" circ. there was a static build up sound and then a low end 'hwomh' then white noise out of the 12". I've since tested it on commercial speakers and I get white noise out of both channels.

For fun anybody have a guess as to what happened? Since I don't know amps very well and before I blindly send it in for repairs is there any chance this could be a cheap fix?

Playing around with disconnecting a powered up inductor = high voltage transients. Its a very good way to destroy a motor drive circuit for instance. This inductor must have been a big metal-cored one, not air-cored I suggest - able to store a lot of energy and turn it into inductive kick-back and arcing.

If you're lucky you only blew the output devices, but the presence of noise suggests a more complex failure.

BTW you could easily have electrocuted yourself, lethal voltages can be generated by big inductors, and big amps have high enough voltages to shock anyway - power down before reconnecting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.