Amplifier kit HOOD JLH 1969 Class A Power amp kit 2 channel amplifier 10W+10W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Thanks for welcoming me to this forum. I am new here. I've got some experience tinkering with electronics as a kid long time ago. Wanted to do a project with my nephew and niece and thought it would be cool to build a kit such as the one below: Amplifier kit HOOD JLH 1969 Class A Power amp kit 2 channel amplifier 10W+10W-in Amplifier

my question is does it need a pre-amp and also if you have recomendations on kits that are more beginner friendy especially as my nephew and niece are 10 and 9.

Looking forward to reading your replies

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
While the classA amp may not be the best way to start, JLH 1969 is capacitor coupled, so relatively safe for speakers. Still, it will run hot, so you need substantial heatsink, it will draw some ampers, so you need substantial power supply. I hope you know that.
I built quite a few JLH versions, from 6 watts original circuit to penultimate 45 watts version. All good sounding. No, they do not need preamp, if your signal source is CD player level and your speakers are reasonably sensitive. If the source is iphone or similar crap, and you have low efficiency speakers, you may need the preamp.
Good luck.

ps: I would build LM3886 chip amp instead, plenty of kits...runs cold, very wide range of power supply voltage is usable, great sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.