just a question about Arcam diva A85

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this amp two weeks ago for a control problem of the digital control panel, the amp came out every time you pressed one of the buttons.
I have fixed the problem and it works.
However, I wonder about the amp itself,
because it's probably one of the worst amp that I've listened to in my life and I wonder how Arcam has marketed such a thing.
the sound is flat, bland and really, but then really without any interest, I mean by that I heard supermarket hifi sound much better.
I have known Arcam for years and I had a lot, but that has nothing to do with Arcam.
Do people have some at home and are happy with it?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Some of them will still agree with you, even if you don't wave a union jack. I have to wonder who picks or coaches Arcam's listening testers though.They must be looking at different qualities, such as those needed for multi-channel AV sound and pro. applications which I think are quite different to those of ageing audiophiles from the stereo age, as many of us here are.

I had and I still have a part of the Alpha series at home and it has nothing to do with this thing just good to be dismounted to collect the good parts.
I am surprised and I do not understand what they are doing while it was enough to continue to exploit the old circuit similar to Cambridge and put some devices around.
Looks like a french amp: "It works great, then you have to change everything"
this afternoon I finished the repair of a Sansui AU 317 mk2 and the diva does not reach him ankle and yet I do not like Sansui.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I haven't seen this A85 model but I had a look at the schematic and yes, there are similarities to Cambridge's older circuits and others too. It's puzzling that it uses some good semis like the SAP15 output Darlington transistors in a conventional output stage that was popular for midrange hi-fi and should sound fairly good.

However, the input stage uses a TL072 opamp as the differential pair and DC servo. The VAS is then driven from its 15V supply rails. This seems like a clever idea and a cheap way to get a dual FET input stage but perhaps the implementation or 15V supplies weren't so good. After all, Denon did similarly with a bipolar opamp in some of their budget models like PMA250, 350 and some versions were well received.

On their website some years ago, Arcam boasted about how much care they took with listening tests and showed a room large enough for 15 or more people to sit comfortably and assess the sound. If it is actually poor by comparison with similar products for the same market, you can only conclude that their testing or assessment is looking for different qualities to those we expect. Perhaps the testing is only done on prototypes or no one thought to re-check production models under the same conditions.

For me, there are no bad sounding amplifiers but there are certain sound qualities that are pleasing in some and missing in others that are designed principally to meet specifications whilst only having acceptable sound quality. Still, I would expect listening tests to compare new products with older, popular ones as well as the competition's models to ensure their customers will find the product is at least competitive. If this isn't being done and acted on, advance reviews could be unfavourable and products wouldn't sell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.