Leach Amp with 12,000uF Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on using two Cornell-Dubilier computer grade 80V 12,000uF "Snap-In" caps for the power supply in my leach amp. This will power two channels and both channels with be driving 4ohm loads (nominal). Are these caps large enough? This amp is for home theater use and I'm not trying to reach extremely high volume levels. Also, will an 80VCT@6A torodial transformer work, or should I get an 80VCT@8A?

m0tion said:
Are you saying that a 4ohm load is hard enough to warrant the 8A transformer? Or than loads harder than 4ohm will need the 8A transformer?

Sorry for being confusing, yeah, that's what I was suggesting. Although the leach amp does have current limiting so maybe you can't exercise more than the 6 amp anyway. Honestly, I imagine you'll be fine with either direction you go, but you might as well go with the 8A if you can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.