Bose acoustimass 25 series ii internal amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm retrofitting an old acoustimass system to my more modern digital music 'stuff'. I'm not using the original music centre cd player, just the powered sub and satellite speakers.

The 25 subwoofer has an internal amplifier. The system is a 5.1ch system however all schematics I find point to only two analogue inputs into the amplifier, (left and right only).

I've attached the only info I have. Checking the pins with a multimeter would confirm that this is correct.

So how's it work? How can a dolby logic 5.1 etc signal be correctly distributed to the speakers with only two inputs? All I can think of is that two analogue sound signals come from the music centre unit that have sort of information signal on how to correctly distribute the sound but even that seems a bit stupid.

Has totally upset my plans as I was going to feed individual channels but now I may have to use the SPDIF. Thanks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's actually not 5.1 at all, but a steered hardware matrix that decodes a 2ch/stereo signal containing directional cues into L,R,C,S and bass.

You need the control center to control the MCU in the speaker system to set center and surround levels.

I am not sure what functionality was included in the SPDIF input. (Aux stereo input?)

Connecting a digital audio source

Oh no.....

That's no fun. I've been messing with this thing for weeks and it's actually 'not' proper 5.1!

Sounds like I would be better off with a passive bose woofer and then I could run proper 5.1 through the system couldn't I?

So disappointing. I've been messing with this thing thinking it was 5.1ch

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Take a look at some of the older Onkyo home theater in a box systems - the passive speaker systems bundled with their 5.1 systems were pretty decent and even then the entire package was not too expensive.

The cubes are probably not the same as those bundled with the passive bass box. The AM25 used electronic EQ to provide good in room response, the passives did not and had a slightly different driver to compensate for the lack of EQ.

I did know they used some fairly tricky EQ to make them sound good.

I'm feeding a 5.1ch signal from a PC. Do you think messing with the EQ on the PC I could replicate the EQ for the cube speakers? Thinking about just running my own amps and feeding the cubes and sub separately

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.