Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Metaxas Solitaire III Bias
Metaxas Solitaire III Bias
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2018, 05:43 PM   #31
Depaj is offline Depaj  France
diyAudio Member

I replaced the caps with 22pF silver Mica. It didn't change a thing to the oscillation but the amps definitely sound better. They were slightly "muddy" with the 56pF and lacked presence in the high frequencies.
They sound really good on my ditton 66, I think they are probably the first that really get the low frequencies exactly right on these speakers.
They are very susceptible to mains noise and changes though. when the fridge turns on or off or some of the light switches it gets right through to the speakers.

Thanks for your precious help
Old 9th December 2018, 09:22 AM   #32
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try 33pF. If the oscillation is still there, it is not at the voltage amp but somewhere else.

HD
Old 9th December 2018, 10:32 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I don't really see how that would change as 56pF didn't do anything either.
Old 9th December 2018, 10:40 AM   #34
RM is offline RM  Norway
diyAudio Member

Then you could, as I mentioned earlier, try some pfs between BC on the drivers. Normally does wonders to otherwise cranky old amps.

R
Old 10th December 2018, 09:57 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

No change at all by adding this cap.

The noise level is also not that great (with or without input). Unless I short the input there is quite some hiss and a buzz but above mains as well as rectified frequencies. Again it's exactly the same on both amps (repaired and original), is this, together with the oscillation, just the way they were designed in order to get this "extreme" speed they are advertised for ?
  Reply to this post

Metaxas Solitaire III BiasHide this!Advertise here!