12 Channels of silence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I am a frequent visitor here, but this is my first post. I am really hoping someone can help me.

Recently, I purchased a MA1260 Dayton Audio 12 channel amp (yes, I realize Dayton Audio is not top of the line equipment) on ebay for a budget whole home audio system I am installing at my house. Long story short, it doesn't work and I am stuck with it.

So, the amp powers on, and the channels that have speakers and input signal have a LED that turns blue. This is suppose to mean that the amp detects impedance at the channel output and a signal on the channels input. However, I can't get any sound from any of the channels.

Upon visual inspection I found a burnt up ferrite bead on the board of one of the channels. Obviously that doesn't mean good things for that channel, but I wouldn't think that would effect all the other channels. So far that is all I have found wrong.

Does anyone have any advice on what to look for that could be effecting all 12 channels but yet allow the amp to have LEDs indicating everything is OK? Also, I am no electrical engineer, but I have faith I can get this thing fixed with a little guidance.

Just throwing out ideas here...

Does it look like the amp has output relays? It could be a problem with the relay activation.

If one channel is toasted, there could be a protection circuit that disables all channels in case of a fault.

While you can probably fix it if someone tell you how to do that, you might need someone to diagnose the exact problem before they can tell you the solution!

Here is a picture of the amp. After taking a closer look I found that the previous owner must have fiddled with it because there is a wire that is missing its terminal and has been soldered on the connector. It is on a board with two relays, one of them I am assuming is the protect relay.

Given that someone else has already messed with it, who knows if the rest of the wires are even hooked up right... I have already done what I can to get a hold of schematics. Even tried contacting their support, but they wouldn't give them to me. I even asked extra nice.

Attachments

• 0221182025_resized.jpg
    0221182025_resized.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 0221182021_resized.jpg
    0221182021_resized.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 255
Sorry I should have mentioned I actually took that module out because is had a burnt up ferrite bead. I was going to hunt for a short on it somewhere.

Even with it installed, I get a blue LED on the channels that are hooked up and no red. In the manual is says that if the amp stays in protect mode, the LED for the zone that is bad will stay red. Maybe that function is not working though. I will search for the cause of the burnt ferrite bead and go from there.

Thanks! I did make sure the trigger was set to on and that the volume adjustment were turned up and the input was set properly. I even tested every single Channel with every single combination of input (sad but true).

Also, I put the bad module back in for testing purposes, since it is suppose to work with a bad module.

Hi,

Do you live in Europe by any chance? This is a problem that often occurs when the MA1260 was hooked up to a european electricity grid with the voltage switch still on 110V. It will directly be broken once this has happened.

If this is not the case I unfortunately will not have a clue what the reason for the defect might be :idea:

Hey all, thanks for the replies! I got some time today to test some parts and found 2 open 400v caps on the "Standby power" board. More info leading to it not coming out of standby or protect?

I do not live in europe (although a trip does sound good right now), but that is a good thought. I have also not looked into the ferrite bead situation. Honestly, I dont know if I want to spend too much time on that one channel unless I can get the rest of them to work. I think this thing must have been pretty abused.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.