Need help with this 1.5k amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all! In need some advice regarding this amp , is it valid? Needs a slight change ? Over all to make it a good working amp, what power supply will it need ? Maybe a protect / input sensitivity selector . My old amp is dead And its time for a new one ! Any help is apricietad . Cheers!

Project 117

Last edited by a moderator:
The schemat in question is available here: Project 117

Your first problem is going to be finding suitable transistors that can withstand 270V rail-to-rail swing. The output transistors indicated on Rod's sch break down at 250V so clearly unsuitable. The mighty MJL4281/MJL4302 break down at 350V so on the face of it they might work, but the SOA at these operating voltages is terrible so realistically I think you have two options:

1. Cascode the outputs to reduce the voltage across each transistor (have a look at the Leach SuperAmp for inspiration) or
2. Use Power MOSFET outputs instead, which are going to better withstand those voltages.

The benefit of Option 2 is that you can possibly dispense with the need for pre-drivers. There is no way this EF3 output stage is going to be stable as drawn. Good decoupling of the driver and pre-driver collectors is mandatory for good stability as is judicious use of base stoppers.

Good luck.

Why? Because i can. If you dont help then keep this topic clean. Thank You!

I doubt you "can" if you're asking such basic questions. Project 117 is intended to be a framework only, if you need something more canned look at Apexaudio's class H amplifier threads. You will find complete schematics, pcb layouts, and all the protection circuits and stuff you need to make it safe. At those voltages class H makes a lot more sense, and is about as easy to implement as the S-Leach cascode.

Every year or two somebody new brings up 117, and it gets shot down in about 15 minutes, often with the thread getting closed by moderators.

From Rod Elliot himself (who should know ;) ) :
Commercial amps of around the same power as this amp are available, and are just as stupid as this design.
WARNING
This project describes an amplifier, power supply and tests procedures that are all inherently dangerous. Nothing described in this article should even be considered unless you are fully experienced, know exactly what you are doing, and are willing to take full 100% responsibility for what you do. There are aspects of the design that may require analysis, fault-finding and/or modification.
You accept all risks to life, limb and finances (this will be a very expensive undertaking) that the project may present. ESP accepts that there may be errors and/or omissions in the text and diagrams that follow, and you accept that these become your responsibility should you decide to build the project.
No assistance whatsoever will be provided for this project! If you ask me questions about it, they WILL NOT be answered!
this amplifier will blow up any speaker connected to it. Regardless of the claimed power that various drivers can handle, they can't
the amp would be a waste of money. Should someone be silly enough to pay me the AU$12,000 I would charge to build a mono version of the amp, then I would happily do so. So, I am confident that it will work as described, but it will almost certainly never be built by me. I hope that my readers share my pragmatism
this amp is as silly as I think it is,
the supply is capable of killing you several times over,
The power supply needed for an amp of this size is massive. Grown welding machines will look at it and cry.
Please note that this project is provided as information only,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.