Arcam A85 Reservoir Caps - Need Recommendation for Replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have an Arcam A85 that needs a new pair of reservoir caps. The originals are BHC Aerovox ALC10A103DF063 63V 10000uF, but I can't find these anywhere in the UK.

Can anyone recommend decent value replacements, i.e. I don't want to fork out £30+ for a single cap, more like £10-15 each (or less if there's anything decent out there). I'm looking on the hifi collective site, but I don't want to take a relatively uneducated decision and end up with something a bit pap. What about Vishay or Epcos? Or are these best in power supplies etc.?

Pic for posterity:

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'll restate an opinion I have made a few times.

The current demands made by the load and therefore by the amplifier on the PSU are varied.
Some are long term demands that are from DC and Low Frequency, some are brought about by Medium Frequencies and some that are dominated by High Frequency transients extending into the MHz band. (in case you don't believe this last, consider the currents flowing in the amplifier output Zobel, which starts to operate at frequencies >>100kHz).

The MF and HF current demands cannot be adequately met by the PSU smoothing capacitors, due to the high impedance of the connecting cables and traces.
The MF and HF current demands are satisfied by the local supply rail decoupling.
If this MF and HF decoupling is inadequate, then the speaker+amplifier will distort the wanted audio signal.

Most amplifiers with adequately located and sized MF & HF decoupling will be unaffected by changes in the PSU smoothing. You can insert any competent electrolytic that stores sufficient charge to maintain voltages for the LF signals.

BUT !
omit or provide inadequate HF & MF decoupling and the performance of the amplifier+speaker can be audibly affected by changes in the PSU smoothing.
The solution to this construction/design error is to correct the decoupling NOT to guess and swap hoping to find a better smoothing capacitor.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.