Disconnecting amps in Denon AVR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My question is...can I disconnect the internal power going to the actual amplifier stage in my old Denon AVR-2805 without damaging anything or creating a "fault warning"? I want to use the old receiver solely for the phono preamp and I would rather it not sit there creating heat and wasting electricity powering the unused speaker amplifiers, even when volume is set to 0. I will be using the CD/TAPE output of the Denon to feed my actual stereo receiver (that lacks a phono input) that is connected to my speakers. I've already tested it this way and it sounds great. Thanks!!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would say almost certainly yes but you are going to have to do the legwork and see where best to isolate the supplies to the output stages. If any warnings show or if any muting occurs that shouldn't then you would need to look at the inputs to the protection circuit and alter them such that the unit believes all is OK.

If you like the phono stage of the Denon then why not just clone it and make a small separate unit ?

Honestly, aren't there sufficient choices of dedicated phono stages by mainstream folks like Project, Rega, Music Hall, Cambridge, etc - at prices ranging from $99 to whatever you want to spend - that are very likely to deliver superior performance, and waste far less space / heat than the Denon?
Unless you can see some purpose to keeping the AVR around for applications, I think you'd be ahead by selling or even gifting it .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.