Vhex+ or AMB b24?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, loooong time lurker here considering an amp build. Looking for something in the 100-200W range for multiway floorstanders (Wharfedales at the moment, will be upgrading these fairly soon).

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a VHex+/NS Modular or an AMB beta 24, though other suggestions are welcome. The VHex+ seems like a good low-cost choice but I do lack SMD soldering experience and I'd have to source or design a PSU for it. AMB seems to have quite the following and a fully differential design is attractive, but the builds I've seen look like they're going to work out to significantly more than a VHex+, and the VHex+ actually has overcurrent protection, speaker protection, etc. while the AMB has none of this.

Thoughts?

I'm obviously biased, but the VHex assembly is quite easy to assemble. There's no reason to be intimidated by SMD parts. We have power supply boards available too. The VHex doesn't require anything special for a supply. It's got excellent PSSR built in. We soon hope to offer complete kits containing everything. Chassis, supply, protection, hardware, ect. Just assemble and enjoy.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree that VHEX+ build was very straightforward and SMD is not hard. These are very large SMD parts. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to solder and practice on a few. It goes faster than through hole because it's only on one side you work and there's no bending leads or trimming excess. I have tried with basic trafo and CRC but am using 53v Abletec SMPS very nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.