Sledgehammer to crack a Lightspeed walnut

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We are talking about non-linear resistance as a function of voltage. There may be a small element of frequency dependence too (possibly arising from thermal effects?); not sure about that.

Some materials are ohmic - linear in resistance over a wide range of voltage (e.g. metals, carbon). Others are not. Cadmium sulphide (used in LDRs) is fairly linear, but nowhere near as linear as carbon; I assume it is used because there is no other more linear material which is also sufficiently light sensitive.

This is quite interesting - Uriah's new CloneNote design uses the ldr in series but specific resistors in shunt for attenuation adjustment and he uses a new fancy distortion meter to measure distortion and it's vanishingly small, unlike previous versions - so, would the signal 'non-linearity' not appear with this particular arrangement?

How significant (distortion) is the non-linearity at signal voltages around 1V rms? Has this been measured accurately in a working environment or just accepted as a 'generally known' theorem from published data?

Yes, all my components in the signal chain add their own particular contribution to the final sound and this one isn't any different, I guess - this one's not all that significant in comparison to say, room acoustics distortion, etc, but it's still a quite intriguing characteristic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.