Help Me Trouble Shoot Leach Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built Leach amp V4.5 about 5 years ago and have enjoyed it without trouble until recently. Right channel intermittently produces reduced highly distorted audio. When I quickly vary the input level it recovers, for awhile, and then reverts.

What I have done to diagnose (not in the order shown):

1. Replaced the power supply fuses.
2. Replaced the power transistors (MJE15003/4)
3. Checked all wiring to the PCB board.
4. Switched the speakers.
5. Checked the source (DAC).
6. Checked the bias current.

I think the problem is with one of the components on the PCB but I don't know where to begin.

Any ideas or test that I can make would be appreciated!

I built Leach amp V4.5 about 5 years ago and have enjoyed it without trouble until recently. Right channel intermittently produces reduced highly distorted audio. When I quickly vary the input level it recovers, for awhile, and then reverts.

What I have done to diagnose (not in the order shown):

1. Replaced the power supply fuses.
2. Replaced the power transistors (MJE15003/4)
3. Checked all wiring to the PCB board.
4. Switched the speakers.
5. Checked the source (DAC).
6. Checked the bias current.

I think the problem is with one of the components on the PCB but I don't know where to begin.

Any ideas or test that I can make would be appreciated!

Have you checked your volume pot?

Yes, I checked the volume pot with an ohm meter and could see no problems. That does not mean much though. I will swap it out, easily done. Although if I vary the volume pot, that has no effect on the right channel amp when acting up.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.