Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Embarrassing error in Third edition of Self On Audio
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Embarrassing error in Third edition of Self On Audio

I'm sure you are all aware that the Third edition of Self On Audio was published a few weeks ago, so please do not consider this an advertisement.
(Though I will say it has a lot of new material I have never published before) Quite the opposite, in fact.

When I write a book I do my best to get everything right. I fail.

In this case there is a most embarrassing error in Chapter 19. The diagrams for Figure 19.1 and Figure 19.11 (but not the captions) were transposed at the publishers. 1 is the same as 11, right? Thus the generalised RIAA response on p209 should be on p200, and vice-versa.

I absolutely failed to spot this when I checked the proofs, so the ultimate responsibility is mine. Unfortunately it occurs in one of the more closely-reasoned chapters and it can only make it harder to understand. I am sorry.

I therefore thought I had better put up a public warning to save furrowed brows. I will add an errata section to my website at Self On Audio: The Book. If you find any other errors do please let me know.
Old 30th December 2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Cornelis Spronk is online now Cornelis Spronk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do not flog yourself too much. Picking up errors in your own work, especially those that others make is very difficult. Your familiarity with the work makes the brain a bit careless.

I know. I have written a book.
Old 3rd January 2016, 05:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mr Spronk, I will spare the lash.

I must admit I am bit surprised there has not been more tut-tutting.
Old 3rd January 2016, 05:49 PM   #4
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Douglas it is unfortunate but I believe that the article still is a very good one.
I must admit I was relieved that it is correct in the original Linear Audio Vol 7 article.

Jan
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Douglas it is unfortunate but I believe that the article still is a very good one.
I must admit I was relieved that it is correct in the original Linear Audio Vol 7 article.

Jan
The original LA article is indeed correct. You are a much better publisher than the global big boys.
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
Banned

Hi Guys

There are those who nit-pick about everything, but I think it is safe to say that Mr. Self's articles and books have enlightened anyone who reads them. I know I've learned a lot so THANKS!

At the risk of discussing APAD - a different book series of yours - it is disappointing to see errors persist from one edition to the next. One that bothers me (because I am a fan of nested feedback, the subject of the figure) is the "internal" data of APAD5 fig.8-8 where the output stage data in the A and B sections is reversed, and remain reversed in APAD6 Fig.13-28.

Doug, you know my views on "editions" versus "volumes", and I guess we will agree to disagree, yet I must commend you on some of the re-organisation in the latter edition compared to the previous. One detail that could have been incorporated is to mention "new" information earlier so that obsolete methods or values are not read as valid. The specific example is the electrolytic capacitor value in the standard PA feedback loop.

In the Wireless World articles that became the core of the books, this cap value was rather low, typically 220uF. Readers of your website see this old free info and assume this is a good cap value. Your later writing states quite explicitly that larger values reduce THD at low frequencies and your latest kits use an improved value of 1mF (even though you tested a 4m7 cap). THD at 1kHz is affected by this cap, too, as a simulation or measurement readily shows, leading some like myself to use much larger values over 10mF. Contrary to what some people believe, this capacitor has no influence on the settling time of the amplifier; other issues are at play if settling is slow.

I also know the difficulty of editing one's own work. It seems to be only truly possible to do once the pressure to print is off?

Happy New Year
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
....I must admit I am bit surprised there has not been more tut-tutting.
There has been little opportunity to tut-tut a publication that Amazon UK has been late in delivering.

Their despatch advice seems to be derived from PowerBall results so I'm expecting a revised delivery date of the 40th of January - or perhaps any day now
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:43 PM   #8
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
Banned

Hi Guys

"....I must admit I am bit surprised there has not been more tut-tutting."

There has, just it is distributed through various threads. I believe Doug was referring to all of his books, not just this latest copy of the SOA.

Have fun
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:48 PM   #9
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelis Spronk View Post
Do not flog yourself too much.
When I read this I wondered what the heck? In this neck, flog means to promote or sell. I had to look up your meaning and sure enough...
You never stop learning.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:37 AM   #10
Miles Prower is offline Miles Prower  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh well, "stuff" happens

Embarrassing error in Third edition of Self On AudioHide this!Advertise here!