New type of Toshiba 2sc5200/2sa1943 or FAKE?

Has anyone already met with those looks? These are similar to the pattern of the sample. But the question is whether it is fake or not.

Attachments

• IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 1,513
  • IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 1,454
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Do you have reason to suspect these are fake? They are not new Toshiba types because 2SC5200/2SA1943 are now obsolete.

There is a marking specification for this product on page 2 of the PDF datasheet found here. It could help identify stupid faking mistakes.

Unless you crack them open and compare with real products or pics in many other similar threads here (search your topic before opening a new thread), you won't know for certain but without the "JAPAN" marking, they don't comply with the original spec. but they have been manufactured in China for some time too.

If you expect genuine Toshiba parts, buy from a genuine, authorized parts seller and not because of bargain prices. Current genuine Toshiba product is TTC5200/TTA1943 (TO264) from China or smaller 2SC5200N/2SA1943N (TO3P) in case you weren't aware. Everything else is NOS or fake.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The 2SC5200 is apparently marked as 'available' on Toshiba site.
I noticed this but 1 year ago (10 year life cycle) it was marked as "not suitable for new manufacture". Manufacturers were advised to use the Chinese TTC/TTA marked types which had 30% smaller dies, as do the smaller TOP3 versions. Now the TTC/TTA types are marked as "not suitable for new manufacture" instead :confused: Perhaps they realized the TT prefix was confusing and sales were lost.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I also think the huge number of alternative parts from ST, Fairchild, ISC etc may have promoted them to bring the old girls back...

For one reason or the other they continue to be hugely popular. Whether they deserve it or not is a totally different question.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't understand the question? They are a semiconductor manufacturer, aren't they?

They are obviously selling enough to keep producing the parts. Anybody can weigh in on the merits of their product, but at the end of the day sales matter.

Note that I was not saying their produced was good or bad - I assume that is what you thought, and in which case, it was a mistaken assumption. I have never used that product and would not personally buy it, but when there is enough sale it is probably enough for even Toshiba to sit up and take twice and maybe make some modifications in their product strategy.

Or is it now in vogue on this forum to not look at context of posts and just pick on bits that do and do o sound good to people? Never noticed this here before but seeing a lot of it lately.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
ISC is one massive manufacturer. They are a relatively new player but that doesn't diminish their product quality which, just by my limited use of their power transistors, I consider to be very good, though not based on the best technologies available.

I'm not disappointed in their consistency, product finish, marking etc. either but as sangram put it, it's sales that matter and if quality is up there too, they have an unbeatable combination. They'll most likely continue to grow and develop at the expense of ST, Fairchild, Toshiba and other major players too, like it or not.

The 2SC5200 is apparently marked as 'available' on Toshiba site. 2SC5200 | Bipolar Transistors | TOSHIBA Semiconductor & Storage Products Company | Asia-Pacific

Not saying that these are genuine, though.

The device is now manufactured in China, so that might explain the absence of the word 'Japan' from the packaging.

These types have begun showing up in local distribution here. I've picked up a few pairs, but have yet to work out how 'original' they are.

does that means if i bought 2SC5200 now and find the word "Japan" means it's fake?

It's about price and availability globally, where the Toshiba parts and fakes are as ubiquitous as a 2N3055 but On Semi is nowhere to be found or way too expensive :worried:
I guess I live in US, MJL seems to be more readily available. In turn, we can't take for granted we can get the 2SC or 2SA. Can you buy through Digikey, Newark and Allied. they are sell MJL.

Have you notice, Fairchild makes those two. The hfe vs collector current is different. The hfe of one brand is flatter on one transistor and worst on the other. If I just buy according to the spec, I have to get one from Fairchild and one from Toshiba!!!

I guess different countries are different, I remember when I was in Hong Kong in the 60s, people use Mercedes as taxi cab. But when we see a Dodge, wow, that's expensive!!! Then I came to US, we have all the clunkers with Dodge on it!!!

Is Land Rover a big deal in Britain? It sure is a big deal here.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
....If I just buy according to the spec, I have to get one from Fairchild and one from Toshiba!!!
OTOH, if you really want to pursue the best overall performance, I would expect you might choose Sanken M200 types like 2SC2922/A1296 or probably the best TO3P LAPT transistors around, 2SC2785/A1186 :) Digi-key offer the M200 types but not this gem and Allegro Sanken distributors are not easy to find. Food for thought?

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I seem to slightly favour the non-LAPT Sankens myself, or the On-semis, when I can find them in local channels. The Sankens have to be brought in from our eastern neighbors, and unfortunately due to the racket of fakes the LAPT types are pretty much out of the question.

These Tosh types are fairly easy to find and quite cheap. The capacitances are quite within the original spec, as is the weight. The finish is also consistent with the new Tosh switching MOSFETs - hardly surprising, as the source is the same. I have a strong feeling they are properly licensed products, however I still won't use the word 'original for them.

The 5200 pair is middling in performance, low-tech and old. However they are very prevalent, specially in the Asian market. They are a bit like Windows XP a year or so ago. There are better operating systems, more stable and reliable and with higher performance. However the installed base is massive, a lot of people are familiar with them, and they are really low cost.

If the topology takes their characteristics into account, one could build a very decent amp with them. The big issue is replacement, as not all the clones have the same parameters and the amp needs to factor that in. You'd be surprised at the kind of products we get here - a '5000w RMS' amp with 10 pairs of these chaps. And people believe it!

What are the replacement and substitute is realy in india for these ttc5200 . I just give them 100v . Ofcourse 50 0 50 with .33ohm resistor on each collector with no driver circuit applied. In theory they shouldn't be conducting . But the do . They were nowhere near the breakdown . Also I measured the 12 amp current . current was basically limited by my transformer impendence