Bigger caps on Ayre V5xe ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Larger capacitors on Ayre V5xe ?

Have the K5xeMp and V5xe combo, really like the sound.

Already have upgraded the 4 fuses in the V5xe amp for ceramic type with gold plated copper contacts, was surprised with such a nice improvement in soundstage and resolution. (Also am using a simple but nice Shunyata Venom3 power cord with it).

My technician told me the 4 capacitors in the V5xe were quite small for such a huge transformer... Told me upgrading the caps for larger ones would improove the sound, make it warmer. True or not? May be logical since all those old Classé amps included huge caps and were quite warm sounding....

Am a little sceptic on that matter, what do you guys think ? Those 4 blue caps made in USA presently in the V5xe amp seem of very good quality though.

Last edited:
To help, here is a pic. It's the two caps at the left of the channel pcb. Does someone knows what type and brand they are ?

3.png

Last edited:
Just found something on audioasylum:

The Cornell-Dubilier electrolytic capacitors used in all Ayre equipment is from their semi-custom extra-rugged series not listed in their catalog. These are rated at 2000 hours life at 105 degrees Celsius and should last somewhere between 10 and 50 years in normal use.
There is no "expiration date" on these capacitors. There is a date code that shows the date of manufacture

Just found something on audioasylum:

The Cornell-Dubilier electrolytic capacitors used in all Ayre equipment is from their semi-custom extra-rugged series not listed in their catalog. These are rated at 2000 hours life at 105 degrees Celsius and should last somewhere between 10 and 50 years in normal use.
There is no "expiration date" on these capacitors. There is a date code that shows the date of manufacture

Hi, I have the same amp.
Did you finally changed the caps ?
Any comment about your post ?

regards

Toni

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.