Recommendations for off-the-shelf amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good off-the-shelf general-purpose hi-fi amplifier?

I realise this forum is more about designing and building your own amplifiers, but it would be really useful if I had an amp that is "known to be good" to use as a reference point. This is especially useful since I building my own speaker enclosures first.

I'm thinking a 2 channel or even a 5.1 amp would be great, at about 100W RMS / channel. I plan to use it with full-range speakers and possibly a sub (but the sub is more a 'nice to have' than a requirement). Something self-contained would be good too (i.e that does not require a separate pre-amp). My budget is around the $500 mark.

Can anyone recommend something good that is also widely available (i.e. likely to be found in a typical mainstream electronics store?). I am heading to Singapore in a couple of days so I am hoping to buy it then.

Thanks!

Cool thanks for the suggestion.

I really only need a 2 channel amp, however I find it hard to go past the network streaming capability of modern A/V receivers. Usability is a big thing (its gotta be wife friendly!) and since I have a lot of music in 96/24 FLAC format it would be great to have something that can play this out of the box.

I'm thinking the new Pioneer VSX-528-K looks like it might be a good compromise - good network capability with Airplay/DLNA and gapless FLAC support.

I just wonder what these 5.1 receivers sound like when they are only paired with 2 speakers for stereo listening?

I can't speak for all, but my stereo yamaha amp sounds allot nicer than my yamaha 5.1 home theater amp.

But because of space I'm using my home theatre amp in 5 channel mode for music, sounds better to me than in stereo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't heard of Argon. I'll look into it.

I'm also thinking the Marantz SR5008 (or SR5007 with the software upgrade for gapleses FLAC support) also looks like a good option, although a bit more expensive than I was looking for.

Its a home-theater receiver, but seems to have a good reputation for music reproduction too. It also has pre-outs so its possible to add an external amp later if I want to go down that path.

Has anyone heard this unit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.