MAS SPA-100 left channel weaker sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I just obtain a Music And Sound (MAS) pre-power combo.
The pre is DCC-1 and power is SPA-100.
I just realize that the right channel sound weaker than the left channel.
It will balance if I adjust the balance to right or I adjust the pot on the power (there are pot in from of the power amp for both left and right)
When I adjust the pot from power amp (to achieve balance sound), the difference is pot is significant (around 1/4 turn).
I try with 3 different speaker and the result is similar.
Anyone able to help what is the "potential" problem with my power amp?
I try to open the case and there are 4 fuse and one fuse is different (maybe the old owner change it).
Is the fuse different between left and right channel cause this problem?
Or there are other "potential" problem like pot problem, transistor problem or cap problem?
I'm not electronic expert but I'm quite handy with solder and able to perform light repair.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I found no web refererence to MAS other than as "Music and Sound" but apologies for wasting your time. Perhaps it's generic brand. The thread starter did refer also to weak sound in one channel.

You will still have to methodically examine and test the amplifier to trace a gain loss, assuming that it is just a stereo pair of power amplifiers. Start by removing all connections but the power cord. Power up, relays turn on the speakers now so measure the DC offset; the small residual DC measured across each pair of output terminals. If that's below say, 50mV, then fine - go check inside on the PCBs.

Cast an eye over suspicious replacements. Guys bust stuff, do cheap repairs with odd parts and sell the real problem - as you probably realise, so you will get stung some time if you buy without knowing the true condition. Look for messy residue on the board, heatsink grease everywhere etc.

Power up again and when testing amps, don't feed the amplifier signals when speakers are attached - don't fit them when testing anything or youll kiss it all goodbye. You'll need a steady signal tone source and audio millivoltmeter or DMM of suitable AC bandwidth to measure and compare the output test tone accurately, though an Oscilloscope is the preferred tool.

Using ground as a reference to attach the black probe (use a clip-lead or such) and compare as many voltages at the same points on each channel on the PCB as you can and note those points with differences >5%, say on the PCB, particularly around the output transistors.
Take great care not to slip when taking measurements which is easy to do if you are juggling pencil, paper, schematic, probes, meter face etc. (yes you'll need to locate and download a schematic if you want to know what you are testing and why, or even communicate about the amp.) Link to or post it so others know what you are talking about too. Perhaps someone can help out there

Lets see how you go with this so far.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
OK. good.
Just clarifying, as I seem to have mixed 2 different tests together in #6.
What I describe there first, is a comparison of DC voltages at like points in each channel. This is not the same as comparing the relative sensitivity (output level for a given input) which directly concerns you. That's an AC (audio) test but we'd like to actually measure the difference and compare with the spec. of the amp, if available, as a sanity check.

Good advices from Ian Finch.

Also, are you sure the problem is not the pre? you need to rule out things. To check this out reverse the interconnecting signal wires between the pre and the power units. If the problem shifts sides then the trouble is in the pre.

Hi Pablo,

I did check with connecting pwr amp straight from cd player without pre (I adjust the pwr gain through pot and my cdp had volume gain) and got similar result.
I'll try Ian diagnostic and if not succeed, I'll bring my pwr amp to repair.
Anyway thank for your response.
-Frans

Cool. Let us know what you find out.

Guys,
Sorry for not reporting such quite long time period.
I did dismantle the power and do several test as instructed by Finch and found that the problem came from the old owner change the mono right pot and left pot with different value and different brand!
I don't have any idea why he did it (maybe he had difficulty to find mono pot??)
I did replace both with new mono pot from same brand and same value and now it's working perfectly!
Thanks for all your suggestion!
Very appreciated your help mate..!

-Frans

Guys,
Sorry for not reporting such quite long time period.
I did dismantle the power and do several test as instructed by Finch and found that the problem came from the old owner change the mono right pot and left pot with different value and different brand!
I don't have any idea why he did it (maybe he had difficulty to find mono pot??)
I did replace both with new mono pot from same brand and same value and now it's working perfectly!
Thanks for all your suggestion!
Very appreciated your help mate..!

-Frans
Hi, don't know if you're still on here but do you by any chance have the power supply specs for the dcc1 pre amp please?
Sincerely, Ro.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.