Biamp / Servo questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to throw together everything I know to make the best three piece system possible. For my subwoofer, I want to use an Infinity Perfect 12. I want my L and R to be MTM configuration, probably something out of the MCM catalog. I want to use a servo control for the subwoofer, four wires in total, two for power, two for feedback to go back to the amp. I'm not sure if this is worth doing on the L and R channels. Also I don't know if bi-amping is worth doing as the midranges will only be going down to 120hz or so. Any thoughts?

Consider a four piece system. Build to subs. That is essential for a stereo setup. Especially if you cut as high as 120hz. Using only one sub in such a system destroys every bit of the MTM speakers potential imaging capabilities.

My sub, a rather cheap one, an Audio Pro Sub Evidence is disconnected whenever I use my setup for stereo. My mainspeakers only handle bass down to about 48hz (f3), but the sub, although crossover at about 50hz 12db/oktav destroys the imaging completly. I doubt you will be any luckier if you choose 120hz as your xover.

Get a cheap kenwood M2 power amp (not M2a).

it is rated at 220wpc into 8 ohms and 340into 4 ohms per channel.

It has Sigma drive which is a servo control that piggy backs from the driver binding posts.

if you are lucky, you can get it cheap for $200 on ebay.

have fun! :D

Well I was planning on making my own amp. I've run into several problems with the servo idea. The easy way to do it would be to take the + speaker terminal and run it back into the amp for NFB and use the - speaker terminal as the preamp ground to account for any losses on the - wire. The reason this is a problem is because the grounds in my amp would be floating a bit. If the L/R signals coming from a CD player or some other device have their grounds tied together, it would not be a good thing. I would have to use a seperate power supply for each channel. Any other way to do it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.