Studio monitor amp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought these monitors as is. replacing the transistor repaired them. While I had them disassebled I was surprised at how cheaply they were made. I am no expert and I have heard two schools of thought. One being that less components can mean a more direct signal path. The othe being many factors that are beyond my knowledge. I had a harmon kardon amp that sounded great. When I opened it to recap it, I was discouraged by the numerous components inside. It was rated at much less power than these monitors. They don't sound terrible but I wonder if I am hearing what I want to hear.

Attachments

• sat 65 service schematics.pdf
    507.5 KB · Views: 193
Just as I expected. I suffer from POwer of suggestion. I remember a guy at the music store was told me that we have an "8 second audio memory". I was so stunned that I almost dumped $2000. On the drive home, I thought "That's funny, I'll never forget that bongo hit I heard 10 years ago in a song that I had been familliar with for 30 years"
Thanks for confirming that It's time to go back to a good old fashioned 50 wpc amp and some decent speakers. I can sell these and put some money back in the bank.

Hard to tell.
PA-Amps are rarely too far apart in sound-signature.
The Op-Amps used here is OK for PA, but I guess there is a bit to gain only swapping them for some better typesm even the 5532.
The TL07X series is to me a tiny bit "sharp" so I don-t use them even in my own PA-projects.
Must look at the schematics and peerhaps find one to listen to before the final verdict is given.
I would assume this one is a class or two below the Naka and HK.
I have never heard the Audio Design amps, aso I wouldn't know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.