Until I can afford a digital unit Old Technics??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Don't waste your cash on a glorified graphic equaliser, then.

I used a few such units back then, in the 1980s-90s and all I can say is that they do work but as to improving our enjoyment of music...no, sorry to say. Some things really stuff up audio and using these coupled to a domestic audio system is almost always a backward step IME. We try things with steep tone cut and boost that should only be done with raw tracks which the final stereo mix isn't. Phase coherency for stereo image quality is an early casualty but I guess if that's not important then you can lose the stereo image thing if its not needed.

I dare say it will sound impressive at first but give it few weeks and you'll be glad to be rid of it or at least bypass it.

Recently, another Melbourne-ite told me how he ganged five stereo parametric sweep tone filters together for the greatest tone controls ever...(ahem). AFAIK, it is already binned. Initially he was very happy but comparison with the original sound quality can be very telling. I don't say categorically that it will be bad but I don't think it will be the solution you might be hoping for. The additional noise and distortion will also be higher than you may be used to.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hmm Point taken
I do remember seeing equivalent units in a lot of pro/stage gear back then myself.
One of the main reasons I like my Yamaha pre-amp( being rebuilt at the moment: C-80 ) tho is the parametric bass tone control.
I do have, but do not use, a 7 band GE without the parametric so I see what you are saying. handy for the party machine tho, although the party machine mixer already has its own built in GE.
As for my computer Dinosaur says it all,

Hi,

Its incredibly flexible, as you can vary the center frequencies, I
know some people who'd kill to have such a device for recording.

Analogue fans of course. I can't see the problem using it in
a bypassable tape loop, very nice toy you can do a lot with.

Minimum centre frequency is 20Hz, not missing the bottom octave.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.