Plinius III 80 watt p/c class AB Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yerk! I figured out how to upload the schematic!

Tony.

Attachments

• Plinius Amp - Schematic ORIGINAL.jpg
    Plinius Amp - Schematic ORIGINAL.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 1,049
Er, hi Steve! I remember (from few months back) that Plinius created external preamps after the Amp/Preamp line. I would like to see a photo (maby internal and external) as I have never layed eyes on one.

You could build one... All that is inside the Plinius III amp is a +- 15V rails. It is feed to the Plinius II preamp via a DIN plug. I will post the schematic for the Playmaster 60 - 60 Power Supply Section. I would decouple ALL the capacitors with 100nF and 10nF Film type capacitors.

Tony.

Thanks Steve. In my (brown) model, the mute relay is inside the Amplifier. Therefore NOT inside my model of Preamp!

Look forward to that srh!

Oh, and I am going to take some photos of my setup (modified) Plinius II and III (brown) and post them here for preservation of these old amps. I have gotten mine to sound like s*x. A 15 year project, I learnt SO much by doing this. Thanks guys...

Tony.

Some photos I'd like to share.

There you go...

Tony.

Attachments

• Star ground (mod), isolating preamp from power amp diodes (mod) - Birds Nest!.jpg
    Star ground (mod), isolating preamp from power amp diodes (mod) - Birds Nest!.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Side view (PCB).jpg
    Side view (PCB).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 383
  • Power supply view (mains filter, bridge heatsinks).jpg
    Power supply view (mains filter, bridge heatsinks).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 338
  • Inside view.jpg
    Inside view.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Front view.jpg
    Front view.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 561
  • DC offset (mod).jpg
    DC offset (mod).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 579
  • Back view (mains filter).jpg
    Back view (mains filter).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 670
Hi Tony, that relay is the one that controls the mute relay in the preamp. Would you be able to measure the voltage it puts onto the DIN socket for me? Also, is there a delay in the operation of the relay when the poweramp is turned on and when switched off does the relay drop out immediately?Thanks.
Regards,
Steve.

Ok, I can't remember now, it was 15 years ago. What I did was use the relay to short out input RCAs inside the amp. Basically muting it. I ripped out the DIN socket... Wish I haddn't now. Was back when CDs (and mp3s) where king. Today I would love to restore the preamp (build a power supply like the Playmaster one I uploaded.

Um as far as the delay goes, take my advice, REPLACE THE ELECTROLYTICS! There is a simple RC time constant. The caps in my amp where buggered. MEASURE THE RESISTANCE of the resistors too while your in there.

This is why I'd love a copy of the Preamp schematic. Schematic for the power supply board would be an advantage too! I could rebuild the preamp.

Tony.

unknown model

hi!

I recently acquired a pair of plinius monobloc amps from a friend, not working. they have no model model number markings as such but going from the previous images posted they are 80's vintage, and plinius had only a couple of mono amps in the eighties. found most of the output transistors u/s. I've started tracing out a schematic, it's virtually the same as the one posted but it appears to have an extra driver stage. simple design, 500va transformer, no mains power switch, captive mains lead, fused speaker out (yuk). ripe for a rebuild! any idea on which model it is?

cheers,

Attachments

• MRL_04301.jpg
    MRL_04301.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 276
  • MRL_04291.jpg
    MRL_04291.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 615
  • MRL_04281.jpg
    MRL_04281.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 623
  • MRL_04271.jpg
    MRL_04271.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 662
  • MRL_04311.jpg
    MRL_04311.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 327
hi!

I recently acquired a pair of plinius monobloc amps from a friend, not working. they have no model model number markings as such but going from the previous images posted they are 80's vintage, and plinius had only a couple of mono amps in the eighties. found most of the output transistors u/s. I've started tracing out a schematic, it's virtually the same as the one posted but it appears to have an extra driver stage. simple design, 500va transformer, no mains power switch, captive mains lead, fused speaker out (yuk). ripe for a rebuild! any idea on which model it is?
cheers,

good pictures. Make additional images from all stickers at the rear panel, at bottom plate and - if present - also from the PCBs. And then ask there (if possible by phone):
dbmaster@audioenz.co.nz <dbmaster@audioenz.co.nz>
AudioEnz - Home
This is the most popular audio magazine in New Zealand.
I think, here you will get all wanted imformations.

I guess You didn't read when I said there were NO markings. it does however have "plinius PA6D" on the driver board and "plinius PA6C" on the output stage board. It doesn't really matter now, I've drawn a rough schematic and raided the output transistors to make one working module, so now the rebuilding starts! the plan is to replace all the capacitors except the psu ones, replace the output transistors with matched sets, AC mains filtering and switching, loudspeaker protect, softstart boards and some of the wiring. good times!

I guess You didn't read when I said there were NO markings. it does however have "plinius PA6D" on the driver board and "plinius PA6C" on the output stage board. It doesn't really matter now, I've drawn a rough schematic and raided the output transistors to make one working module, so now the rebuilding starts! the plan is to replace all the capacitors except the psu ones, replace the output transistors with matched sets, AC mains filtering and switching, loudspeaker protect, softstart boards and some of the wiring. good times!
this means to me, that the probability is high,
that these parts were used for different models from those days.

Thats cool, hat are the output devices? MJ15003, MJ15004. What value are the resovoir capacitors? Hopefully they are ok. Don't short them out lol. What is the +- voltage rails?

Nice twins anyhow. Wonder if they are designed for hifi or PA??

Would be nice to have schematic here for completion and for documental purposes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.